[SOLVED] Exec binding, Dimmers and Rules issues

Hello

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPI 3 B+
    • OS: OpenHAB Raspbian based provided image, openhabianpi-raspbian-201804031720-gitdba76f6-crc9e93c3eb
  • openHAB version: 2
  • Issue of the topic: My script refuse to start

Amplifier.items:

String getampvol {channel="exec:command:getampvol:output"}
Dimmer setampvol {channel="exec:command:setampvol:run"}
String setampvol_Args {channel="exec:command:setampvol:input"}

Amp.things:

Thing exec:command:getampvol [ command="getampvol.sh", interval=60, autorun=true ]
Thing exec:command:setampvol [ command="shampvol %2$s", interval=0, autorun=false]

Amp.rules:

rule "AmpVol"
when
    Item setampvol changed 
then
    setampvol_Args.sendCommand(setampvol.state)
    setampvol.sendCommand
    logInfo("Amp","Sent")

end

log:

11:50:52.989 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent     ] - Item 'setampvol' received command 20
11:50:53.014 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - setampvol predicted to become 20
11:50:53.027 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - setampvol changed from 15 to 20
11:50:53.244 [ERROR] [untime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'AmpVol': An error occurred during the script execution: index=1, size=1
11:50:53.243 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent     ] - Item 'setampvol_Args' received command 20
11:50:53.276 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - setampvol_Args predicted to become 20
11:50:53.288 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - setampvol_Args changed from 15 to 20

I don’t really understand what wrong, the script take a percentage as a variable, so the dimmer state should be a perfect match, but I can’t get it to launch.

The run channel of the exec binding Thing is used to start the execution, and also report running/not running.
So it’s suited to a go-nogo model - a Switch.
A Dimmer type Item happens to support on/off as well as percentage … but I would use a Switch type here. Remember, this run channel only represents script running / script not running.
Switch setampvol {channel="exec:command:setampvol:run"}

I’d also disable autoupdate on this one, preventing autupdate changing (predicting) state in response to a command, and leaving exec binding to update with real run status.
Switch setampvol {channel="exec:command:setampvol:run", autoupdate="false"}

Your target args Item is a string type, this would be “nicer” to command it
setampvol_Args.sendCommand((setampvol.state).toString)

If you’re going to send a command, you have to say what command :wink:
setampvol.sendCommand(ON)

Okay, I’ve just realised your rule trigger is also your run and presumably on your UI etc. We need to restructure here.

It’s not clear if the exec binding supports linking the output channel string directly to a number or dimmer type Item - let’s assume it doesn’t, and use a separate dimmer.

I think we can take advantage of exec’s autorun feature too, and not bother with the run trigger. I’m guessing you’ve no need to inspect the run channel to find if the script is running.

things

Thing exec:command:getampvol [ command="getampvol.sh", interval=60, autorun=false ]
Thing exec:command:setampvol [ command="shampvol %2$s", interval=0, autorun=true]

items

// put this one on sitemap as slider
Dimmer myVolume "volume control"
String getampvol {channel="exec:command:getampvol:output"}
String setampvol {channel="exec:command:setampvol:input"}

rules

rule "Amp control"
when
    Item myVolume received command   // not changed, to avoid looping
then
    setampvol.sendCommand((receivedCommand.state).toString)  // autoruns script
    logInfo("Amp","Sent")

// if you might get ON/OFF to the dimmer
      // you could code to deal with that
end

rule "Amp status"
when
    Item getampvol changed  // updates at intervals
then
      // parse string to number
   myVolume.postUpdate( Integer::parseInt(getampvol.state.toString) )
end

Thank you,

I tried your code, but the log tell me:

13:08:14.495 [ERROR] [untime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Amp control': 'state' is not a member of 'org.eclipse.smarthome.core.types.Command'; line 5, column 28, length 21

Also, yeah, there no support of On/Off via the slider needed, as the script do not handle that (And it would be quite complicated to implement properly anyway due to how well made CEC is …)

yes, my mistake. Did you try to correct it? You can have a go, it does give you a big clue

setampvol.sendCommand( receivedCommand.toString ) // autoruns script

Sorry, I had to leave home in between, I was testing remotely and didn’t really paid attention >.<

Well now there no errors, but it still don’t run the command (Or the command is failing silently… :< )

Which command? Are you getting the current volume level in your Item?

Add items

Switch setampvol_Run {channel="exec:command:setampvol:run"}
String setampvol_Result {channel="exec:command:setampvol:output"}

Add rule

rule "Amp running"
when
    Item setampvol_Run changed
then
   logInfo("diag", "Script arg " + setampvol.state.toString)
   logInfo("diag", "Script run " + setampvol_Run.state.toString)
   logInfo("diag", "Script returns " + setampvol_Result.state.toString)
end

Thank you once again!

Once I added those line, I was able to see that there was a permission error, as shampvol is creating a temporary script, and that openhab didn’t have RW on /tmp

Changed the temp folder for /var/lib/openhab2/tmp and it started working :smiley:

1 Like