[SOLVED] Fail to show door open/closed icon in basicUI in my first attempt at a custom sitemap

Hi!

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3
    • OS: Linux openHABianPi 4.14.98-v7+ #1200 SMP Tue Feb 12 20:27:48 GMT 2019 armv7l
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk version “1.8.0_152”
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0-1 (Release Build)
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue

As a complete beginner in Openhab, I recently managed to include two Z-wave door sensors (Hank HKZW-DWS01) to a Z-wave dongle which in turn I’ve included as a binding in Openhab.

I have managed to add the sensors as things and witnessed in awe how the status of the door sensors varies from Open to Closed as I open and close the respective doors. So far so good (and incredibly awesome :slight_smile: ).

Advancing in my Openhab quest, I wanted to write a custom sitemap. To begin with, I wanted to reproduce what I already see e.g. in the OpenHAB Android app: a door icon which opens and closes as the z-wave sensor sends the corresponding signal.

So in the PaperUI -> Configuration -> Things -> door sensor I picked up the channel corresponding to the field which in PaperUI appears as Open/Closed and edited $OPENHAB_HOME/items/default.items:

Contact Porta_terrassa "Porta terrassa" <door> {channel:"zwave:device:ce4991d0:node4:sensor_door"}

and under $OPENHAB_HOME/sitemaps/default.sitemap:

sitemap demo label="Casa" {
  Frame label="Portes" { 
    Default item=Porta_terrassa label="Porta terrassa" icon="door"
  }
}

which shows an icon in basicUI, but no real responsiveness to actual Open/Closed sensor states :frowning:

I’ve tried to google my way out of this, but have thus far not really succeeded (most likely due to my very limited Openhab knowledge…).

Thanks in advance for any hint you may provide!

Cheers

Hm… It took me opening and closing the doors a couple times (more) for the thing to work. Looks like it’s a persistence issue… on which I have to educate myself yet.

Sorry about the noise! I leave the post in case somebody else runs into this “issue”.