[SOLVED] Failed downloading Marketplace entries: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

I also faced the “Failed downloading Marketplace entries: : Received fatal alert: handshake_failure” error.
I have an Openhabian-Zulu installation.
I downloaded the Java Cryptography Extension from Oracle, extracted the 2 .jar files on my Windows PC and then FTP them to /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security on the OH board.
After restarting OH service, the errors are gone.

That was an easy one…

Thx for your detailed help!!!

1 Like

it was a pleasure i’m glad its helping some people :slight_smile:

Thank you for this!

Glad it helped :slight_smile:

Tbh when i was writing it i thought who cares about this everyone will know this

but the responses have already encouraged me too think about writing up more stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks alot!

1 Like

A short summary for Windows PC users who are running openHABian on a Raspberry :slight_smile:

• Download the ZIP from Oracle to your Windows HDD
  • copy it (for example with MobaXterm) to /temp/ on Raspi
  • then execute the following commands
  • sudo unzip jce_policy-8.zip
  • cd UnlimitedJCEPolicyJDK8
  • sudo cp local_policy.jar /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security/
  • sudo cp US_export_policy.jar /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security/

After that restart the openHAB service or do a reset (sudo shutdown -r 0)

Now the error message should be gone

2 Likes

Indeed indeed… Thank you kindly!

1 Like

Many thanks Sharpy. All sorted.

1 Like

Thanks! It worked for me.

1 Like

Thank you - that helped! :black_heart:

1 Like

Ok I feel I need too point this out I thank you all for the thank yous but all I did was follow instructions from other people and compile all there posts into one post

So thanks too all the people who helped me post the complete fix

2 Likes

@martinvw Martin, thanks for pointing out, I activated it in docker. Is it possible this significantly increases CPU usage. The docker CPU indicator (on synology NAS used to be around 5 to 7%) and now went up to +/- 27%

Thank you so much for the simplified step by step instructions. You are the best. ,:smiley:

1 Like

after this long, I am wondering why this cannot be fixed?

Because politicians decided that its illegal to export strong encryption to some/foreign countries :cry:

this"solution" compleately messed up my OH. After reboot I can not access openhabianpi:8080 anymore, and if i check the log it seems as there are a few problems with java. Reinstalled, tried again, same failure… so I do NOT reccoment to replace local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar in /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security/ at openhabian

1 Like

Same here… Hue bridge failing and other components… Had to remove those jar files…

Same issue here. A ton of errors, paper UI stopped working, grafana, … I tried both the oracle as the Zulu versions with the same result.
Any other possibilities to get the marketplace back?

not really a possibillity to get the market place, but a walkaround good enough for me is the suggestion from @CDriver:

Find your plugin on MarketPlace
Click on the download link - it’ll open a dialog with a URL in it. Copy said URL
Past the URL into a browser and download the jar file.
Copy the jar file into your addons folder in OH setup.

just tried, and worked.
addons folder is accessible via samba: \RASPI-NAME\openHAB-share\openhab2-addons