[solved] Fibaro DoorWindow sensor stopped responding

• Platform information: Raspi 3b

I spent quite some time to convince my Fibaro Door Sensors to join the openhab zwave network when moving away from my Vera Plus. After a lot of fiddling I got it working at one point and everthing was running nicely for a little while, now one of the sensors is not showing it’s actual open / closed state any more.
The sensor flashes upon opening / closing as it should, only the state on openhab always remains closed.
In habmin there is evidence the sensor is still communication, since the last wakeup time and lots of neighbours are visible on the properties tab.
When I try to wakeup the sensor the last wakeup time is changed.
In Asscociation Groups under “3: Condition” there used to be an entry “Controller” and still is for my working sensors, but now there is no entry any more for the faulty sensor.
I tried to set it back to “controller”, saved, woke up the sensor a couple of times, tried to change the wakeup time, but all those settings revert back after a while (Association with Controller is empty, old wakeup intervall, etc)
In the log i see this

2019-08-21 09:55:18.886 [ERROR] [st.core.internal.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at 'things/zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22/config'

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Thing with UID zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22 has no handler attached.

2019-08-21 09:58:05.658 [ERROR] [st.core.internal.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at 'things/zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22/config'

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Thing with UID zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22 has no handler attached.

2019-08-21 09:59:03.436 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22' has been updated.

2019-08-21 10:01:52.724 [ERROR] [st.core.internal.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at 'things/zwave:device:b70fcb3e:node22/config'

At one point there was a message stating the sensor was back online, but still not reacting to open / close events.

Any ideas what I could do except excluding / including? Thank you for any response!

Low battery?

Nope. Battery is brand new.

I would first try to reinitialize the device, is that does not help I would exclude and re-include it.

Thank you for your suggestion. But how exactly do I do that?
habmin gives me “set failed”, “remove” and “heal”.
I’ve tried heal a couple of times while making sure it was awake for a few minutes,but that did’t help.
What I find strange is that the wakeup time is updated, but status change seems to be missed.

If reinitialization is missing the device has not fully initialized.
You need to wake up the device (see the manual on how to do that) several times until initialization has finished.

Hmmm, how can a device that was working fine for weeks suddenly not be initialized?
I am not trying to be complicated here, just trying to understand.
I’ll go and get the screwdriver now and get the thing off of the door frame so I can keep clicking it while watching TV … :wink:

Because of the battery change.

no battery change. I put a new one in when I included it few weeks ago.
Can a reboot of OH lead to uninitialized battery devices?

If you have a multimeter, measure the battery to be sure that it is supplying enough voltage.
Do like sihui suggested, if all else fails, you next step is to factory reset it, and then reinclude it again. Look at the manual for how to hardware factory reset.

If your poll, and wakeup intervals on the device are aggressive, battery tends to be depleted quickly.

Regards, S

Clicking away while watching telly did the trick - it’s aliiiivveeee! :smile:
Even though the sensor has an abundance of neighboring nodes (which are visible in it’s properties) it wouldn’t / couldn’t talk with the controller.
So as you suggested walking it up for a while and moving it closer to the controller did the trick.
Thank you for your help!

BTW the battery is still at 3.52V - sometimes I don’t see the obvious, so thank you both for your suggestion.

2 Likes