[SOLVED] HABPanel sluggish

Well, I just tried on another install (docker) and got the same issue :frowning:
@NCO - I can’t make it out - is yours working or not?

Yes, it’s working great (good performance on HPV).
I just had the issue that the habpanel.jar did not load and I suspect, that something happend (made it kind of corrupt, after I added my custom icons into it).
I did it again and the modified jar loads properly and seems to be running fine.

To speed up the HabPanel in a setup with many items I used a proxy configuration instead of the habpanel-filter (which did not work on my OH2). Configure the HabPanel device to point to port 8081 instead of 8080 and all requests will be redirected.

The interesting part is this one, which simply adds a GET filter to every request sent to this port:
RewriteRule (.*) $1?tags=panelFilter [QSA,PT]

Then you can add the tag “panelFilter” to your items you would like to see in your HabPanel:

Number:Temperature  Wetter_Temperature   "Temperature [%.1f %unit%]"   <thermometer>  (gWeather) ["panelFilter"]

The below shown configuration is for Apache Webserver. Site configuration could be located in /etc/apache/sites-available/habpanelfilter.conf but depends on the Linux distrubition and/or apache setup.

Listen 8081
<VirtualHost *:8081>

ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        DocumentRoot /var/www
        ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

RewriteEngine  On
        RewriteRule (.*) $1?tags=panelFilter [QSA,PT]

<Proxy *>
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
        </Proxy>

ProxyRequests Off
        ProxyPreserveHost       On

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/

ProxyPass /basicui/ http://localhost:8080/habpanel/
        ProxyPassReverse /basicui/ http://localhost:8080/habpanel/

ProxyPass /rest/ http://localhost:8080/rest/
        ProxyPassReverse /rest/ http://localhost:8080/rest/

ProxyPass /icon/ http://localhost:8080/icon/
        ProxyPassReverse /icon/ http://localhost:8080/icon/

</VirtualHost>

Enable following Apache modules: (Thanks to @zacofunny)

sudo a2enmod ssl
sudo a2enmod proxy
sudo a2enmod proxy_balancer
sudo a2enmod proxy_http

Activate the the virtualhost definition in habpanelfilter.conf by command: (Thanks to @zacofunny)

sudo a2ensite habpanelfilter.conf
3 Likes

Where do you put VirtualHost definition?

The shown configuration is for Apache Webserver. Site configuration could be located in /etc/apache/sites-available/… but depends on the Linux distrubition and/or apache setup.

it seems I get an error on a regular basis when “items-filtered” is triggered:

2020-02-20 14:01:18.682 [INFO ] [er.internal.web.FilteredItemResource] - Received HTTP GET request at 'items-filtered'
2020-02-20 14:01:20.587 [ERROR] [ersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder] - An I/O error has occurred while writing a response message entity to the container output stream.
org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.process.MappableException: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.java:92) ~[?:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor.proceed(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:162) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.MessageBodyFactory.writeTo(MessageBodyFactory.java:1130) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.writeResponse(ServerRuntime.java:711) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.processResponse(ServerRuntime.java:444) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.process(ServerRuntime.java:434) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$2.run(ServerRuntime.java:329) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:271) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:267) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:315) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:297) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:267) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.process.internal.RequestScope.runInScope(RequestScope.java:317) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime.process(ServerRuntime.java:305) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.handle(ApplicationHandler.java:1154) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.serviceImpl(WebComponent.java:473) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:427) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:388) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:341) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:228) [bundleFile:?]
        at com.eclipsesource.jaxrs.publisher.internal.ServletContainerBridge.service(ServletContainerBridge.java:76) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:852) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:544) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.HttpServiceServletHandler.doHandle(HttpServiceServletHandler.java:71) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:536) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1581) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1307) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.HttpServiceContext.doHandle(HttpServiceContext.java:293) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:482) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1549) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1204) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.JettyServerHandlerCollection.handle(JettyServerHandlerCollection.java:80) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:494) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:374) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:268) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:782) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:918) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_152]
Caused by: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint.flush(ChannelEndPoint.java:283) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.WriteFlusher.flush(WriteFlusher.java:422) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.WriteFlusher.write(WriteFlusher.java:277) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractEndPoint.write(AbstractEndPoint.java:381) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$SendCallback.process(HttpConnection.java:818) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.IteratingCallback.processing(IteratingCallback.java:241) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.IteratingCallback.iterate(IteratingCallback.java:223) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.send(HttpConnection.java:549) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.sendResponse(HttpChannel.java:857) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.write(HttpChannel.java:929) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:250) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:226) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:525) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.internal.ResponseWriter$NonCloseableOutputStreamWrapper.write(ResponseWriter.java:325) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.CommittingOutputStream.write(CommittingOutputStream.java:229) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$UnCloseableOutputStream.write(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:299) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.ReaderWriter.writeTo(ReaderWriter.java:116) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.AbstractMessageReaderWriterProvider.writeTo(AbstractMessageReaderWriterProvider.java:79) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.InputStreamProvider.writeTo(InputStreamProvider.java:105) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.InputStreamProvider.writeTo(InputStreamProvider.java:60) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$TerminalWriterInterceptor.invokeWriteTo(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:265) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$TerminalWriterInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:250) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor.proceed(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:162) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.JsonWithPaddingInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(JsonWithPaddingInterceptor.java:106) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.java:86) ~[?:?]
    ... 48 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt
    at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.writev0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.writev(SocketDispatcher.java:51) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:148) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:504) ~[?:1.8.0_152]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint.flush(ChannelEndPoint.java:263) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.WriteFlusher.flush(WriteFlusher.java:422) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.WriteFlusher.write(WriteFlusher.java:277) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractEndPoint.write(AbstractEndPoint.java:381) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$SendCallback.process(HttpConnection.java:818) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.IteratingCallback.processing(IteratingCallback.java:241) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.IteratingCallback.iterate(IteratingCallback.java:223) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.send(HttpConnection.java:549) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.sendResponse(HttpChannel.java:857) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.write(HttpChannel.java:929) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:250) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:226) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:525) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.internal.ResponseWriter$NonCloseableOutputStreamWrapper.write(ResponseWriter.java:325) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.CommittingOutputStream.write(CommittingOutputStream.java:229) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$UnCloseableOutputStream.write(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:299) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.ReaderWriter.writeTo(ReaderWriter.java:116) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.AbstractMessageReaderWriterProvider.writeTo(AbstractMessageReaderWriterProvider.java:79) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.InputStreamProvider.writeTo(InputStreamProvider.java:105) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.InputStreamProvider.writeTo(InputStreamProvider.java:60) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$TerminalWriterInterceptor.invokeWriteTo(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:265) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor$TerminalWriterInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:250) ~[bundleFile:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.JsonWithPaddingInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(JsonWithPaddingInterceptor.java:106) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.java:86) ~[?:?]
    ... 48 more

Anyone else with this issue?

I don’t see a severe problem here, but I would like to understand the root cause.

I only get something like this when starting up OH from scratch; otherwise I don’t see it when OH is fully started.

Best, Jay

Finally migrated to 2.5, I confirm that habpanel-filter 2.5 for M3 works without any problems on 2.5.1/2.5.2

Thanks @jwiseman and @arctus for your prompt feedback.
So, another (unique) issue I need to face :wink:

yes, it seems openhab is very generous on errors :slight_smile: my recent one - systeminfo running on 2.5 x64 linux failing to find x86 udev … (2.4 worked ok), oh well - new day, new problem - this is why I am reluctant to update.

On a side note, I do think openhab should have LTS releases with addon update. What we have right now is that, if you want to have addons updated - you need to update openhab as well, which sometimes is a bad idea :slight_smile:

Its actually not like that. 95% of my bindings are dropped into the /addons directory vs pulled from OH natively. I’m running OH 2.4 and most of my bindings are 2.5 versions.

Best, Jay

i think this is not a general rule, or is it? my experience with openhab (and that might be wrong) says, it does not always work like that :slight_smile:

Yes, somethings it doesn’t work like that because additional functionality has been added to the core that the 2.5 binding need. Below is “some” of my 2.5 bindings in OH 2.4.

Best, Jay

Wow, that’s a lot. I am usually happy with the bindings and only have up to three in the addons folder - currently:
icloud, habpanel, habpanel-filter

I guess I found a related thread - it’s obviously harmless.

hi! what modules do I need to have enabled in apache to run this?

EDIT: Ok I enabled all as follows and it works!

sudo a2enmod ssl
sudo a2enmod proxy
sudo a2enmod proxy_balancer
sudo a2enmod proxy_http

Also I have put habpanelfilter.conf with the virtualhost definition into /etc/apache2/sites-available/
and then I enabled this site by command:

sudo a2ensite habpanelfilter.conf

THe only problem I have yet is that nginx uses the same port as Apache2 and I have to kill nginx start Apache2. Hints?

1 Like

Hi Pavel,

Is it possible to get another link to these .jar files?

I am running 2.4

Thanks

Ok that was easy. Just needed to change the port of the nginx server in conf file.
I must say that it works much better than the modified habpanel!
Thanks @schmidmuc !

1 Like

As I mentioned previously, there are two issues that contribute to HabPanel being slow (at least for me):

1. Getting items (effects loading time when changing screens, received through /rest/items endpoint).
  2. Getting item updates (normal event stream, received through /rest/events endpoint).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the method described here only solves the issue 1, however has no effect on issue 2, right?

What was/is the problem 2 about? (I don’t know this issue).

My main problem was the slow change between screens or long time waiting after pushing a button. And both problems have gone with my solution. The panel is much faster now. And item update still work with a reasonable delay.