[SOLVED] Homekit error

I have two issues that I have noticed for some time now (weeks not months).

They are in the same area but may not be related.

Issues 1:
Alexa is no longer discovering new items that I tag with [“Switchable”] or ['Lighting"]. The earlier ones are still used but I am unable to create new ones for discovery.

Issue 2:
I see the log entry below very frequently suggesting homekit has an issue.

2018-07-01 15:22:56.562 [ERROR] [lfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession] - Could not handle request

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at org.openhab.io.homekit.internal.accessories.HomekitTemperatureSensorImpl.getCurrentTemperature(HomekitTemperatureSensorImpl.java:38) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.characteristics.thermostat.CurrentTemperatureCharacteristic.getDoubleValue(CurrentTemperatureCharacteristic.java:30) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.characteristics.FloatCharacteristic.getValue(FloatCharacteristic.java:72) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.characteristics.BaseCharacteristic.makeBuilder(BaseCharacteristic.java:71) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.characteristics.FloatCharacteristic.makeBuilder(FloatCharacteristic.java:48) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.characteristics.BaseCharacteristic.toJson(BaseCharacteristic.java:61) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.json.AccessoryController.toJson(AccessoryController.java:73) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.json.AccessoryController.listing(AccessoryController.java:39) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession.handleAuthenticatedRequest(HttpSession.java:70) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.doHandleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:51) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.handleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:46) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:47) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:15) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:308) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$600(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:32) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$7.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:299) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:36) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:112) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:137) [238:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.3.0]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

Any ideas of what is causing either issue?
It is certainly filling up my logs and making my RPi have a real work out.

Regards

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I just installed HomeKit Integration to see what it does, not for serious usage… I can’t say anything to your issue #1, but issue #2 is a thing I also notice in my test setup… this null pointer exception floods the logs (even when everything is working okay), but it loses often connection or crashes completly. My feel is: it’s not really stable at the moment.

Cheers,
Marianne

Thanks Marianne,
it is good to know I am not alone.
I have not managed to get any further in resolving either issue.

Regards

Paul

It was working very nicely for me with snapshots up until the 2.3 release version (just a bit flakey). Curious that it’s so badly behaved now.

Ok, both issued are now solved.
For the first issue, I had forgotten that I had previously (weeks ago) when trying to geth my google homes working with the Hue Emulation binding has set the port from 8080 to 80.
Putting the port number back to 8080 worked for Alexa. I still have no idea how to get both systems to play together with OH.

The second issue was solved by performing an upgrade to the latest OH release 2.3.0-1

Thanks

Paul