[SOLVED] How to get the hue secret key in OH2?

Morning all

can anyone tell me how where to find / how to access the secret key for Hue in OH2? I would like to use my motion sensors and understand that in order to work with them in in openhab I have to pass the key in the URL. I read that in OH1 there was a openhab.cfg file which contained the secret key. However, since that file no longer exists I’m wondering how/where else I can retrieve that secret key?

Thanks so much

Stefan

Did you look here:

I did. I have about 30 or so bulbs working, that is not the issue. the binding works perfectly fine, but it supports only bulbs, not the motion sensors, which seemingly are controlled via HTTP POST, hence my question

did you check this one out:

Ps: How to ask a good question

Got it, i found it myself.

The solution is

1. call the following URL: http://debug/clip.html
  2. make sure the field “URL” on the page contains ONLY ‘/api/’ (without single quotes) . In my case it came up with ‘/api/1234’ and therefor the following did not work. After removing the ‘1234’ it worked ok
  3. put {“devicetype” :“openhabHueBinding#openhab”} in the field “Message Body” and press the button under the URL field which says ‘POST’
  4. you will get a response in the field “Command Response” that says ‘link button not pressed’
  5. Press the round link button on your Hue bridge
  6. the content in the field “Command Response” then changes and has an entry that says “username:” . following that entry you find the secret key.

Thanks, appreciate the link. Very helpful for further configuration

1 Like

This is the information I used from the developer account to setup my Hue hub.

Follow 3 Easy Steps

Step 1

First make sure your bridge is connected to your network and is functioning properly. Test that the smartphone app can control the lights on the same network.

Step 2

Then you need to discover the IP address of the bridge on your network. You can do this in a few ways.

NOTE – When you are ready to make a production app, you need to discover the bridge automatically using Hue Bridge Discovery Guide or the tools provided with the official Philips Hue SDKs.

1. Use a UPnP discovery app to find Philips hue in your network.
  2. Use our broker server discover process by visiting https://discovery.meethue.com
  3. Log into your wireless router and look Philips hue up in the DHCP table.
  4. Hue App method: Download the official Philips hue app. Connect your phone to the network the hue bridge is on. Start the hue app(iOS described here). Push link connect to the bridge. Use the app to find the bridge and try controlling lights. All working — Go to the settings menu in the app. Go to My Bridge. Go to Network settings. Switch off the DHCP toggle. The ip address of the bridge will show. Note the ip address, then switch DHCP back on

Step 3

Once you have the address load the test app by visiting the following address in your web browser.

https://<bridge ip address>/debug/clip.html

You should see an interface like this.

Using this debugger utility you can populate the components of an HTTPS call – the basis of all web traffic and of the hue RESTful interface.

1. URL: this is actually the local address of a specific resource (thing) inside the hue system. It could be light, a group of lights or many more things. This is the object you’ll be interacting with in this command.

2. A body: this is the part of the message which describes what you want to change and how. Here you enter, in JSON format, the resource name and value you’d like to change/add.

3. A method: here you have a choice of the 4 HTTPS methods the hue call can use.
GET: this is the command to fetch all information about the addressed resource
PUT: this is the command to modify an addressed resource
POST: this is the command to create a new resource inside the addressed resource
DELETE: this is the command to deleted the addressed resource

4. Response: In this area you’ll see the response to your command. Also in JSON format.

So let’s get started…

First let’s do a very simple command and get information about your hue system.

Fill in the details below leaving the body box empty and press the GET button.

URL /api/newdeveloper
Method GET

You should see a response like below:

Congratulations you’ve just sent you first CLIP command!

Now this is the command to fetch all information in the bridge. You didn’t get much back and that’s because you’re using an unauthorized username “newdeveloper”.

We need to use the randomly generated username that the bridge creates for you. Fill in the info below and press the POST button.

URL /api
Body {"devicetype":"my_hue_app#iphone peter"}
Method POST

This command is basically saying please create a new resource inside /api (where usernames sit) with the following properties.

When you press the POST button you should get back an error message letting you know that you have to press the link button. This is our security step so that only apps you want to control your lights can. By pressing the button we prove that the user has physical access to the bridge.

Go and press the button on the bridge and then press the POST button again and you should get a success response like below.

Congratulations you’ve just created an authorized user (1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df) , which we’ll use from now on! Now if you do the first GET command again you should get a whole lot more information about what lights you have and their states. This data is all in JSON format so can be easily processed by your applications.

Turning a light on and off

Okay now that we have a username with permission to use the system lets start having some fun.

Each light has its own URL. You can see what lights you have with the following command:

Address https://<bridge ip address>/api/1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df/lights
Method GET

You should get a JSON response with all the lights in your system and their names.

Now let’s get information about a specific light. The light with id 1.

Address https://<bridge ip address>/api/1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df/lights/1
Method GET

In this response you can see all of the resources this light has. The most interesting ones are inside the state object as these are the ones we’ll have to interact with to control the light.

Lets’ start with the “on” attribute. This is a very simple attribute that can have 2 values: true and false. So let’s try turning the light off.

Address https://<bridge ip address>/api/1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df/lights/1/state
Body {"on":false}
Method PUT

Looking at the command you are sending we’re addressing the “state” object of light one and telling it to modify the “on” value inside it to false (or off). When you press the PUT button the light should turn off. Change the value in the body to true and the light will turn on again.

Now let’s do something a bit more fun and start changing some colors. Enter the command below.

Address https://<bridge ip address>/api/1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df/lights/1/state
Body {"on":true, "sat":254, "bri":254,"hue":10000}
Method PUT

We’re interacting with the same “state” attributes here but now we’re modifying a couple more attributes. We’re making sure the light is on by setting the “on” resource to true. We’re also making sure the saturation (intensity) of the colors and the brightness is at its maximum by setting the “sat” and “bri” resources to 254. Finally we’re telling the system to set the “hue” (a measure of color) to 10000 points (hue runs from 0 to 65535). Try changing the hue value and keep pressing the PUT button and see the colour of your light changing running through different colors.

Now you understand the basics of the commands you can send to hue through this tool – but we can also send the commands as part of an app.

1 Like