I’m stuck and going crazy
the first rule below is not working, the second is

???
Not working

rule "bedlamp aan uit"
when
    Channel "mihome:86sw2:158d0001641c68:ch1" triggered 
then
    if (E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.state == OFF) {E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.sendCommand(ON)} 
    if (E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.state == ON) {E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.sendCommand(OFF)} 
 end

Working!

rule "bedlamp aan uit"
when
    Channel "mihome:86sw2:158d0001641c68:ch1" triggered 
then
    E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.sendCommand(ON) 
 end

How can i check if my comparison is ok?
is the state of a HUE bulp a string, constant (ON/OFF) or 0/1 ??

My Rule file read correctly, no errors related to this in openhab.log as far as i can see

Thanks for reading my problem

What type of item is E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp? If it’s not a Switch then it doesn’t store its state as ON or Off.

If it’s a Dimmer or Color Item, then you can get the state as if it were a Switch using

E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.getStateAs(OnOffType)
2 Likes

Additional, a good way to debug these kind of issues is typically to include some logging directly after the then to check what E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.state returns:

logInfo("BedlampTest","State of bedlamp is " + E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.state.toString)
1 Like

Using an if-else structure can be useful

if (myItem.state == ON) {
     myItem.sendCommand(OFF)
} else {
     myItem.sendCommand(ON)
}

If the Item is ON, we turn it off. If it’s anything else - OFF, UNDEF, 22, “alpha” etc. - we turn it on.
That’s often good enough to deal with unexpected NULL states.

I think in this case though you’ll need to think about the states of a dimmer type Item, as Rich says.

Hi Rich,
Your the best!
I was comparing apples to oranges

if (E2Lbedlamp_dimmer_colortemp.getStateAs (OnOffType) == OFF)

works like a charme.

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for showing me that I can use variables, like the state of an item in a logInfo command.

I did not know that!