[Solved] Inbox discovers deleted things

My problem is the inbox claims it has discovered two things that I have deleted: 2 Zigbee Cree light bulbs. I used Habmin to delete the 2 things, and I removed the 2 items from my .items file, let the system sit for several hours, and even cold-rebooted. Upon start up, my inbox still claims it has discovered these same 2 Zigbee bulbs. I know this by looking at the hex ID of the bulbs. I’ve reset the physical bulbs, and then physically unplugged them (no more power) several days ago, yet they both still are “discovered” by the inbox.

My goal is to have these two things deleted, not merely ignored. Thanks.

  • Platform information:
    • Hardware: (RPi3) Model B Quad-Core 1.2 GHz ARMv7, x64, 1GB RAM, 32GB Micro SD Card (Class 10)
    • OS: Raspbian 9 Stretch
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu openjdk 1.8.0_152
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0-1 release build
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
      • 2 Zigbee light bulbs
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue: NA
    • Rules code related to the issue: NA
    • Services configuration related to the issue: Inbox, Zigbee binding.

Clear your cache and temp folders from the terminal using openhab-cli commands.

EDIT: Needed to confirm the commands and you may need to use sudo.

openhab-cli stop

openhab-cli clean-cache

openhab-cli start

1 Like

Thanks, however no this procedure did not solve the issue. It made perfect sense, but oddly enough these two bulbs are still “discovered” even though I have them both physically unplugged from AC power. I delete them from the inbox, stop OH, clean the cach and tmp folders, and start OH again, but there they are in the inbox again! :-/

If you uninstall the Zigbee binding then reinstall do the things still remain?

I have not tried that lately because I know that will break all of my other zigbee items currently working well. So, I would rather not try reinstalling the binding.

I use a cc2531 USB stick with zigbee2mqtt, not sure what your using for a controller but is it possible to access the controller to verify the lights are not showing? With my setup I can delete things from the yaml file. Also, check that the item or anything else that may have been auto created have been deleted. Do they show in PaperUI?

I am using the Nortec HUSBZB-1 (both Zwave controller and Zigbee coordinator) usb stick.
Yes, the PaperUI is what I was referring to when I mentioned “inbox”.
Unlike a Zwave controller, I’m pretty sure Zigbee devices cannot be “seen” on the physical coordinator. And I’m pretty sure Zigbee devices do not work the same way as Zwave devices in terms of networking, aka: zigbee device IDs aren’t stored on the physical coordinator. Thus the answer is “no”.

I’ve read good things about this device but no experience.

My setup does not use a binging, its has its own program, and I have the ability to change the device name or remove via file(coordinator).

Wish I could help, but you’ve done everything I know to do.:expressionless: I’ll search around some and let you know if I fine anything.

Best of Luck

1 Like

One more thing, I usually go the long way when deleting cache and tmp, by using sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/* and the same for the cache. Not sure how openhab-cli does it’s thing, but using rm -rf forces the removal. It may be worth the time to check those two directories have been cleaned.

1 Like

I found an issue similar to yours https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zigbee/issues/190 With auto discovery off and the device (bulb) powered on, deleting the thing should work.

1 Like

This is a known issue. The binding stores this data in an XML file in the {userdata}/zigbee folder. If you remove this file, or edit it to remove the relevant devices, then this should solve your issue.

This is correct, and this is why the binding has to store the data itself. The binding needs to manage this a bit better…

1 Like

I’d like to follow up to say clearing the cache does work to help this problem I previously had, but only in this specific order:

  1. Power on the device.
  2. Use PaperUI to delete the thing.
  3. Repeat for any other devices.
  4. Stop the Openhab service.
  5. Clear the cache.
  6. Start the Openhab service.

Only after that order of steps I finally had a “clean” inbox and a successful re-add of devices.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up @sam2b and glad to hear you got it worked out.

If you would please mark the post solved by clicking the square box on the post with the solution. Also add [Solved] to the title, this may help others with similar issues.