[SOLVED] Install stuck at FireMotD install on RPI3

Hmmm , everything was going smooth untill that point where it got stuck for now being 45 minutes

2017-07-15_12:33:59_CEST [openHABian] Installing additional needed packages... OK
2017-07-15_12:34:16_CEST [openHABian] Installing additional bluetooth packages... OK
2017-07-15_12:35:05_CEST [openHABian] Adding slightly tuned bash config files to system... OK
2017-07-15_12:35:05_CEST [openHABian] Adding slightly tuned vim config file to system... OK
2017-07-15_12:35:05_CEST [openHABian] Downloading and setting up FireMotD... OK

So what is the recovery protocol for that., Will it timeout after some time or I should reboot and reflash the card? I did card verification on the Win32DiskImager and it passes as a good card flash.

TIA

Seems that install is very fragile when it comes to the internet connection. I had a slight packet loss (1%) on that link- OH2 RPI3 was on the power line communication bridge - and it was getting stuck on various points of the script. Moving to the clean connection solved the issue.

This reminds me of a story that I witnessed when someone wanted to drive a Ferrari (openHABian) on some old Greek country roads (powerline comms with packet loss) during the Acropolis WRC Rally… it didn’t work out very well for him either :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The openHABian installer relies on tools to do their individual jobs. If they fail due to problems from the outside, the Ferrari… sorry, the setup will break. That’s kind of how I’d expect this. Not sure what to do about it.

On another note: If your powerline adapters introduce packet loss, I’d expect them to be faulty.

1 Like

Power line com brick is absolutely last resort when it comes to getting something connected. They are really sketchy and will fail sooner or later. I have replaced 5 of them over 2 years
But I have a solar inverter far from home across the garden and get the stats from it over 1m RS-485 cable so it was an easy place to put RPI next to it.
I’ll have to run the cable .

Thomas you could introduce some progress indicators and timeouts just to better inform the user that the script is not progressing any more.

2 Likes