[SOLVED] Java Exeception on Openhab2 Startup

Hi there,

I rebooted the Raspi, as not all events have been recognized in openhab. After the reboot there are some java errors in the log and the z-wave binding seems to be not there anymore. I don’t see any Things except those from the Internet (weather etc.). The system was running for 2 weeks without issues. I added a couple of z-wave devices during this time and all were working well.

Any idea how to get the z-wave binding working again or to how to get closer to the failing part?

I add the log from the restart: openhab.log.txt (40.1 KB)

Thanks Jan

Platform information:
Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel = Linux 4.14.79-v7+
Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
z-wave controller Razberry2
openHAB version: 2.3.0-1
openjdk version “1.8.0_152”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu Embedded (build 1.8.0_152-b76)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu Embedded (build 25.152-b76, mixed mode, Evaluation)

How was the zwave binding installed? One reason could be that you installed through Paper UI, but you’ve modified the bindings line in addons.cfg and never added zwave. If you’ve never touched that line, then this is not the cause.

Hi Scott,
thanks for the hint, but I’ve never touched addons.

Reboots were fine the days before, as I was searching for the right place for the Raspi.

Another information regarding changes: I’ve updated some apps as suggested by FireMmotD during ssh login (apt-get upgrade) without rebooting, as this was not requested. May be one of those is not compatible with the current z-wave binding.

Start-Date: 2018-12-02  13:32:40
Commandline: apt-get upgrade
Requested-By: openhabian (1000)
Upgrade: perl-base:armhf (5.24.1-3+deb9u4, 5.24.1-3+deb9u5), openssl:armhf (1.1.0f-3+deb9u2, 1.1.0j-1~deb9u1), perl-modules-5.24:armhf (5.24.1-3+deb9u4, 5.24.1-3+deb9u5), libperl5.24:armhf (5.24.1-3+deb9u4, 5.24.1-3+deb9u5), perl:armhf (5.24.1-3+deb9u4, 5.24.1-3+deb9u5), libssl1.1:armhf (1.1.0f-3+deb9u2, 1.1.0j-1~deb9u1)
End-Date: 2018-12-02  13:33:10

Start-Date: 2018-12-09  14:19:18
Commandline: apt-get upgrade
Requested-By: openhabian (1000)
Upgrade: libpolkit-gobject-1-0:armhf (0.105-18, 0.105-18+deb9u1), libpolkit-agent-1-0:armhf (0.105-18, 0.105-18+deb9u1), libpolkit-backend-1-0:armhf (0.105-18, 0.105-18+deb9u1), policykit-1:armhf (0.105-18, 0.105-18+deb9u1)
End-Date: 2018-12-09  14:19:22

Another possibility is that your controller came up on another port. Check to see if dmesg -T | grep tty shows it on a different port than what you have configured in OH. If it changed, you may want to consider using a udev rule to prevent that form happening. You should find some post in the forum for this.

Did you install the binding through Paper UI, or manually by copying the jar to /addons? Have you ever installed the binding through /addons? If so, you should confirm you don’t have two versions installed (list -s |grep zwave in Karaf). [Edit: sorry… you’ve already said you haven’t.]

These exceptions were from having Paper UI (maybe Habmin) open somewhere during the restart. If you close them first before a restart, you shouldn’t see them.

They don’t look to have anything to do with serial communications, so I wouldn’t think they would cause an issue.

Hi Scott,

good point, but the Razberry2 is still on /dev/ttyAMA0

I’ve also checked in Karaf for the zwave binding, it looks like it is running, but Openhab can’t use it
203 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.3.0 │ org.openhab.binding.zwave


Sometimes you oversee the simplest points. After seeing, that the z-wave binding is flagged active in Karaf, I looked for the json db for the things. The file was empty execpt for a “{”, which caused the problem.
I called back the latest one from the backup and voilá my Openhab is working again :slight_smile:

Thanks to everybody who spend time for my issue.


1 Like