[SOLVED] Logitech Harmony Hub Binding - 4.15.206 firmware broke local API connection

Mine too. = Firmware version 4.15.250

307 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.5.0.201902161217     │ HarmonyHub Binding

Now, they are telling the truth! :wink:

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00008OsX3CSAV

1 Like

So now that this has been resolved I guess, I can reconsider moving forward with a purchase. Here’s the thing. My family is very funny about their controls. I have the Harmony 900 and they love it. Got it all programmed and automated for them. The thought of a new remote freaks them out. Told them this would be mostly WI-Fi and better than RF thru the wall to the devices but they won’t listen. I think this is a yes but like to get another opinion. Could I just buy the hub and ir transmitters and put those in next to the ones for the 900? So each device would have two transmitters pointing to it so they can keep using the remote they have, however for my home automation work and HabPanel I’m working on, I can still do my thing?

Thanks.

JR

To best answer your question would require additional knowledge of the reasons for your family’s reluctance to switch remotes but perhaps to help you out, I’d put myself in the “very fussy when it comes to remotes” category and I’m very happy with the feel and functionality of the Elite remote. Further my remote is highly integrated with openHAB and my 20 year old daughter started using the remote immediately with no instruction from me, so I’d say it’s quite intuitive to use. I would run parallel systems while you configure the Elite to function exactly as you want and then cold-turkey switch your family to the new remote and listen to any feedback they provide for things they may want you to change.

I love it, now it works the intended way again <3
However I cut the internet access for the harmony hub so logitech can’t pull this shit again!

I really love the hardware of the harmony hub! It’s great and I love the feature to programm your own commands from unsupported remotes however the (android) app is f’in BS. It’s slow as hell and looks like it’s made in 2013 and not updated since then…
Well now it doesn’t matter, OpenHAB saves the day again :heartpulse:

1 Like

The Websocket implementation has been merged.

There also was another issue, it has been merged, too.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that the two remote systems (900 and hub) do not communicate with each other.
So if you change the activity to “Listen to Music” via 900 your Hub does not know you turned on this activity.

Thanks for the input. Question, and it was basically answered on another thread, but Harmony considers the hub a “home automation” tool on their website. Won’t get into then why they temporarily killed the functionality. I had all kinds of hopes for this to replace remotes and continue managing my TV like I do today but with the Harmony binding. Now I’m finding all it really does is turn on and off pre-defined actions or scenes or whatever they call it that you configure on the Logitech side. No control for sending forward/reverse/up/down/stop/start/record/etc commands to the harmony once it’s turned on. So my TV is on, and it turns on my XBox 360 and goes to media center, but then I can’t do anything. I guess that’s the home automation aspect. Then I guess you are meant to control it with a separate remote? Was hoping this could all be done thru the harmony binding and create a remote within the sitemap or habpanel. Finding that’s not the case. Knowing how crazy people got when Logitech blocked things, thought there was more. Thinking maybe for me it’s more of being new to home automation and finding every turn there is something you still can’t really do so it gets frustrating.

I know Matt in my other thread using Kodi but I can’t really switch my current Windows Media Center because it’s tied into a cable card and has support for digital protected content that no other solution has and can stream live TV to all my XBox 360 devices. It’s old school but never found a replacement. Curious what others do once the TV and accessories are on.

Thanks.

JR

@jriker1

You can also send these commands with Openhab.

See here:

You have to create switch items for every command you need.

You have to use the REST API first to determine the corresponding command.

See here:

1 Like

Thanks. That’s good to hear. I’m sure it’s just a matter of examples that I’m not seeing in the binding information. In my case I may not be seeing it but:

1. In my current setup, I have the main blaster, and then an A and B mini blaster. Each is configured to only respond to their own device as opposed to all commands going to all blasters. On my 900 I set that up thru the remote so not sure with the harmony hub if it can be set elsewhere if you don’t get the remote. Is there a way to manage each individual blaster thru the binding?

So if I have the watch TV activity and want to turn up the volume it does it on the blaster tied to the Denon. If I want to fast forward something it’s on the XBox 360 blaster.

1. As an example unless someone has already done all this work and is willing to share, if I wanted to send a record command, and if relevant, to my XBox what would that look like?

2. The reference to using OpenHAB directly how would that work?

Thanks

JR

Check out my article here for a fairly complete integration of Harmony and openHAB:

Can you explain how to enable xmpp? I looked in all options of the android app, but can’t find it. Same for myharmony on the pc.

From the linked article by Celaeno1 :

2 Likes

Thanks, now i found it.

To clearify: With 4.15.250, websockets should still work with the snapshot, right?

I installed the snapshot while on 4.15.210 and it was working fine. Now my harmony hub updated to 4.15.250 too and it stopped working again. Also, I have now been getting OutOfMemoryExceptions in OH2 for a few days. Since I didn’t change anything else in my installation in the past few weeks, I have to assume there’s a connection… I just removed the snapshot again and will see if the exceptions disappear now.

There is a new issue reported here:

Thanks a lot for the link! The issue explains the behavior I see perfectly. Will keep an eye on the fix then.

@pgruetter

Should be fixed now:

I’m on 4.15.250 and openHAB 2.5.0.M1 - and my connection is broken.
Could someone please share a newer jar of the binding?

@mashborn

https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.harmonyhub/2.5.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.harmonyhub-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Got holidays coming up, but will certainly try it afterwards.