[SOLVED] Logitech Harmony Hub > OpenHAB > Smartthings

Evening all,

I have been working with OpenHAB for a while now and am very pleased with it. I picked up a Smartthings home monitoring kit during Amazon Prime day because I have a technology addiction, but I digress.

I know that that the Harmony Hub does not normally allow direct device control from outside the app/remote. I managed to get direct device control working from within OpenHAB and want to know if there was a way to get some of those actions/commands to show up in Smartthings.

Example; Smartthings temp sensor reaches a certain temp which causes the Harmony Hub to turn on two fans in that room.

I would like to accomplish this without using Activities (as I currently do with OpenHAB by itself).

There is not a SmartThings binding that is complete as far as I know. Some have integrated SmartThings with OH using MQTT GitHub - stjohnjohnson/smartthings-mqtt-bridge: Bridge between SmartThings and MQTT and there was a binding started but there hasn’t been an update to it so I don’t know it’s status. @BobRak, is the SmartThings binding still under development, awaiting merge, available on the IoT Marketplace, abandoned?

OH integrates with Harmony. OH integrates with SmartThings. Once that integration is working, how you get them to work together is the same no matter what bindings they come from.

So you need to write a Rule that triggers when the Item that represents that sensor’s temp value changes. In this Rule you test if the value is above your threshold. If it is, then you issue the ON command to the Item that represents the fan that is linked to the Harmony binding or issue the command using the harmony Action.

These steps would be the same no matter what technology or binding is generating the temperature reading and what is turning off the fan. So if you had a Zwave sensor and Sonoff relay to control the fan, the Rule would be pretty much identical. This is the power of OH.

1 Like

@BobRak is still working on the SmartThings binding. For the most part it is complete. I’ve wanted to give it a little more test time before submitting to OH. Unfortunately I’ve gotten side tracked with other life events but hope to get back to it in the next couple of months. I am still investigating reported issues and responding to the issues. You can find the code here.

A couple of users have reported they get an Unresolved Dependency exception and it goes away if they put the apache commons codec jar file in the addons directory. Just a heads up. I’ll figure out why this is happening when I get my RPi in the same location as my computer and hub. Hopefully in August.

I’ve also had one user comment that the arrival sensor doesn’t work. I’ll look into this as soon as I get a chance.

Once I finish moving and am settled I’ll resolve any issues and submit it. Hopefully in the fall.

Bob

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies.

I have just finished configuring the ST binding and am working on getting everything added to my sitemaps.

Thank you so much Bob, you have done a fantastic job with this. The documentation is on point, clear, and concise.

Hello, was hoping you can assist me. I have put the .jar file in the addons folder, but I will never show up under addons or bindings or anything else. Hoping you can help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

Jason: I assume you got the jar files from my Github repo at https://github.com/BobRak/OpenHAB-Smartthings. If you have added the jar from there I am not sure why you are not seeing anything. Have you followed the installation instructions. I am in the process of moving and will not have access to a computer for a few weeks so I can’t do any research. Any issues should be opened in my repo.

How did you manage to control the devices from outside the harmony app/remote?