[SOLVED] MQTT 2 and Paper UI only - problem with linking an channel of a external broker

Hi there,

I am not quite sure if it is an error or I am the problem because I do not understand the configuration of the new MQTT 2 binding completely.

The situation: I have an external MQTT broker running on a separate raspi. With MQTT 1 I configured everything with files. Now I want to use Paper UI only.

So I uninstalled the old binding/action and installed the new one, too. Then I used the inbox to install via MQTT Thing Binding a MQTT Broker manually. It was set up and online after I put in the ip address and the port.

Now I tried to create a channel. I used “publish trigger” and put in the topic “hermes/intent/#”. Here might be the error: Because I do not know what to use for “channel id” I typed in “test”. I could save it.

As I wanted to link the channel to an item, the window opened with the two fields (profile, item). There are dropdowns but they are empty, so I cannot choose everything.

Here I am stuck.

Has anybody a hint what went wrong?
Thanks in advance!

HFM

With the MQTT 2 binding you need a “Broker” thing, which establishes the connection to your external broker AND a Generic MQTT Thing, which will represent your device. Only for the later you need to create channels!
Read here.

Thanks for the fast reply, @opus!

I did install a broker thing the following way

• Went to inbox
  • pressed +
  • clicked on MQTT Thing Binding
  • clicked “add manually”
  • clicked MQTT Broker
  • used ip adress and port to configure it

After that I have a thing which is online. But then I want to link it to an item which I can use within rules. And there I am stuck (see my first post).

Now I tried to create a channel. I used “publish trigger” and put in the topic “hermes/intent/#”. Here might be the error: Because I do not know what to use for “channel id” I typed in “test”. I could save it.

As I wanted to link the channel to an item, the window opened with the two fields (profile, item). There are dropdowns but they are empty, so I cannot choose everything.

All correct, but the thing created is the “Borker” Thing, which ONLY establishes the Connection of openHAB to your external Broker.
As said before, for your devices you need to create Generic MQTT Thing, read link given above.
As ar as the correct MQTT Topic goes, if you do not know it, I suggest to use an extrnal MQTT Viewer (like MQTTfx) in order to see which messages/topics are already sent and on which messages/Topics your device reacts.

Hey @opus,

thanks for your answer! I tested it the way you proposed before. So I thought my problem is another.

But today I updated form 2.4.0-1 to 2.5.-M1 and now everything is fine. You were right, telling me that you have to setup the broker and the generic MQTT thing.

So there might be something wrong in the “stable” version of the MQTT2 binding in 2.4.

Thanks for your help, support and inspirational word!

Have a nice weekend!
hfm