[SOLVED] Neo CoolCAM PIR Sensor Z-Wave Issues

The Coolcam sensor I have has been announced having the temperature sensor. But it´s not there.
The database is wrong, but I live with it. I dont need the temperature sensor, just motion and lumiance.

I don’t have a Zooz switch, but I have a Zooz motion sensor and my opinion is that they are cheap but also of a lower quality compare to others (some of which are just as cheap) clunky design, few configuration options

I’m pretty sure all passive infrared sensors have some form of temperature sensor on the board because figuring out if the heat signature the infrared sensor is seeing is a warm blooded creature or some other object in the room requires knowing the ambient temperature of the surrounding area
anyhow… guess they decided not to make that info available to end user

I wouldnt know… There is a huge mix up on these devices, including from the manufacture as well.
Fact is, the temperature sensor isn´t available. The database is build from the manufacture info, and with the specific device, its wrong.

Actually, when I went and checked these motion sensors out on the interwebz, they were advertising two different models of pir sensors. One looked EXACTLY like my brand new Dome and the other looked EXACTLY like my brand new Fibaro. Even the features were exactly the same
So much so, I wonder if Neo actually manufactured them for Dome and Fibaro
I suspect if this is the case, both Dome and Fibaro have implemented there own firmware to the hardware with a little better software because I’ve read a lot of folks having trouble with these

Another weird issue. I have text items lined to these sensors. They show up as linked in the PaperUI but not in HABmin. @chris is this expected behaviour?

You may be right on this one. But if you enter the manufacture site, it says the device having a temperature sensor as well. But you could be right, it´s there but not activated from its original firmware. The manufacture of Neo Coolcam has not released any new firmwares, as far as I know.

Did you manage to the them included. If not, linking doesnt make any sense to me.

Please provide your XML file so I can take a look.

That’s not really how these things work. They have a single sensor that typically does not provide temperature.

Some of the items are even working.

BTW, my sensor bought earlier this year shows firmware 3.80 accordingto HABmin. the new ones are 3.97for whatever that is worth.

Their devices are not likely upgradeable in the field, though.

I’m not really sure what channels etc you refer to. I would have expected PaperUI and HABmin to show the same channels though.

Here.

network_de45570f__node_13.xml (14.8 KB)

But this isn´t news… We have spoken about it long time ago, and I believe we came to the conclusion, its not there (or not activated or… whatever)… The channel is there, but it´s not working.
Several others have mentioned the same with this specific device.

It looks fine - it’s completed initialisation.

1 Like

my understanding is temp sensor used for self calibration, not how they work, I know. Could be wrong but almost sure I read as such more then once. Anyhow, you would probablt know much better then me Chris and I’m sure you have owned and fiddle with and know much more about it then me

Thanks. Your device is reporting it has the temperature sensor, and it is defined in the database.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/401

Yes, internally they may have, but typically these things don’t provide this as an output. They tend to be self contained, self calibrating - at least the chipsets I’ve used work that way.

Thanks @chris the temperature sensors do not work ans I saw these in the log viewer that made me think something was still amiiss.

Possibly. I’m sorry if I’ve forgotten. I deal with dozens of these sort of discussions each week so I’m afraid I don’t recall.

Anyway, as I said earlier, the device you provided the XML file for has a temperature sensor, and the channel has been defined for this in the database, so it’s fine.

This is not related to the temperature sensor - this is just a display issue and not an indication of any problem. As you can see above - this is clearly being interpreted and is updating the channel state so it’s working fine.

Yes, but as I said. It doesnt work. It never has. And its not just my device. There are several reports out there with the same device all saying the same.