Issue of the topic: issues after update from 2.5 M1 to M3
Good evening, after “playing around” with OH over the last few months I updated today from 2.5 M1 to M3 and now encounter several mainly “no shows” in Basic UI.
From the Astro Binding several Sun and Moon related data is not showing anymore (Azimuth, Elevation, Radiation, Phase age and Moon distance) and some of the power plug measurement data graphs are not being updated either although the log shows the changes so I believe the interaction with the persistence rrd4j is not working correctly anymore.
Although I would appreciate (and finally need) any help I can get to fix this I was wondering what I should have done differently in the first place to avoid this situation like preparing back-up (I do have of the files I created) reading any change log of the versions before the update (where would these be found?) and the log file itself after the restart.
Did I miss the “How to update the system - guide”?
What would be the right balance between “never change a running system” and “apply updates soon to resolve any found and resolved issue”?
In case any answer to any of the above matters is already available I would appreciate to be pointed in the right direction.
These entries are saying that you have sitemap entries for Items that cannot be found in the system.
You may have created them with xxx.items files or with PaperUI, so where to look for why the Items are missing rather depends. openhab.log should show you if there are troubles loading xxx.items files at boot or edit time.
You are doing great so far, no worries, we’ll get things sorted. Were all those errors encountered when you first fired up OpenHAB after the upgrade? Sometimes things start in a funny order and OpenHAB needs to run for a bit to stablize or even sometimes get restarted to get it together and run. Have you tried restarting OpenHAB once or twice?
thanks for all the comments
I did start the system several times and also deleted the cache but all this did not seem to resolve the issue
the error messages remained and I started looking at the issues one at a time starting with mail and restdocs
the errors remained although I tried to install and uninstall them via Paper UI
then I edited the addons.cfg file and although the Rest UI appeared Paper and Basic UI were not available anymore
the same with mail under binding, suddenly mqtt did not work anymore (which was not in the addons.cfg file)
so I went and added all addons that I presently use in the config file
in addition I left the system running for some time
and now it seems to work again
Upgraded to M3 from M1 and now same symptom as above, embedded MQTT broker is showing configuration error. Also the Generic MQTT Thing is in ERROR.
Why do I need to edit addons.cfg manually. All was working great before the update.
How do I make it work again without errors?
2019-09-14 21:48:50.083 [ERROR] [org.openhab.io.mqttembeddedbroker ] - bundle org.openhab.io.mqttembeddedbroker:2.5.0.M3 (293)[org.openhab.io.mqttembeddedbroker.internal.EmbeddedBrokerService(343)] : The activate method has thrown an exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The file is locked: nio:/var/lib/openhab2/mqttembedded.bin [1.4.199/7]
Thank you for replying.
Anyway, I found that the fastest and easiest way was to go back to the MQTT v.1x Binding and the good old mosquitto broker. With this combination all is working again.
As a non technical user, I am starting to get really frustrated with OH when claimed easy updates break a working system and there is no guide as to how to make it work again.
Perhaps after 2.5.0 is released you need to move to the stable version. The latest stable version now is 2.4. You are running an unstable version and complaining about the lack of stability.
In my opinion the unstable version here is many times more stable than the Home Assistant official releases.
Actually that hint solved my annoying “Failed installing 'openhab-action-mail” error.
I loaded into addons.config and there found action=mail, also this is not in addons.cfg.
Therefore deleted it in addons.config and no more failure in logfile.
After looking again at it I turst the reason is that in addons.cfg the line was commented out with #actions= and therefore I believe this was not updated in addons.config.
Anyway it works now without error messages and perhaps that little hint will help others who have same problem