[SOLVED] OpenHAB 2.5 RC 1 Critical Issues

OK well… I willing to say the issue of zwave controllers repeatedly going online and offline may not be directly related to an issue with the zwave binding itself. (seems unlikely since nothing much has changed in the binding) At least one and maybe two users with the issue were running other bindings that used serial.
Does anyone know where the repo for the embedded serial driver is so maybe I can create an issue there on github but looks to late, I guest stable release will go ahead tomorrow with this little glitch still there. Pity

Is it really the serial driver?
I just saw another posting that gave me an idea. If those with issues are running a USB drive on the Pi, is it possibly conflicting with the Z-Wave controller? That could help isolate the issue.

As far as I’ve seen, only 1 person has this issue. I’ve seen others report some issues, but I’m not convinced they are the same (at least one is now confirmed to not be related).

Still - you can add an issue here -:

There have been no changes to this for a few years now - possibly it should be updated to incorporate the
updates in master (this is always the problem with creating a fork - no-one here is probably maintaining it).

1 Like

That fork is no longer updated because it is no longer used since OH 2.4.0.
Instead we use a recompiled version of nrjavaserial that has one change only: it doesn’t use liblockdev.
That library does not work well with newer Linux distributions.

See also:

2 Likes

I thought that was the repo I referenced? Where is the “recompiled version” source now stored?

There is no need for storing and maintaining a fork because all the builder does is clone the original nrjavaserial repo and use some different compiler options. See the entrypoint.sh.

Ah - ok, so we are using the standard nrserial repo, just compiled differently. That’s fine then - thanks.

Maybe we should remove this repo - or mark it clearly as not used? There are a few repos kicking around that aren’t used and confuse people (there’s a ZigBee one with nothing in it as well and I often get questions about it!).

1 Like

I guess open an issue :smiley::wink:

How would I do that? issues are not accepted.

@Kai any ideas how to collect this list and archive off the repos?

Somebody found that having a binding fail to load (http in this case) caused their reloading issues.

And an explanation

1 Like

Hello!

This was the issue with my OH installation. It wasn’t addons.cfg, but addons.config file (in OpenHAB\userdata\config\org\openhab folder) that had plex and plex1 in bindings section (even though there’s only OH1 binding for Plex). After removing it and updating OH to the latest nightly, Z-Wave controller works as expected.

Thank you all for suggestions and help.

Best regards,
Davor

2 Likes

do NOT upgrade to 2.5 stable until the official announcement.
Some people who did not wait have installed a buggy build.

And if you already did, a simple downgrade solves the problem so no big worries…

1 Like

2.5 stable has been released.

2 Likes

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but since I’m mentioned I figured I might also update my status (in line with previous comments, btw). I backpedaled my test build and got rid of the issue. No corresponding issues - until I updated my production system to the latest build (2.5.3, I think) when loo’ and behold, it happened again: Z-wave and 433 MHz (both USB devices) started to blink on and offline.

I found the suggested solution to look for incorrectly loaded bindings and found error statements for Expire. I uninstalled, I commented out in configuration files and got rid of that error - and it did indeed fix the on/off-line behavior. Incidentally, I also figured out why my Expire binding didn’t load properly (an old item with incorrect format), fixed and reinstalled that. All is now fine.

So, I concur that anyone experiencing this should look for bindings not correctly loading.

How to look for this?
If the log doesnt show anything, and things do seem to run just fine. It´s fair to assume everything has loaded just fine.

An incorrect setting in an item (wether its a format issue or anything else), should be reported through the log file. If not, it should not cause serious issues.

1. Search the forum.
  2. OH stores its addon list in an addons.config file in the userdata tree. Stop OH before editing. A big culprit is restdocs because its location changed.

Searching the forum for incorrectly loaded bindings is only suitable, if you already have a incorrected loaded binding showing in the logfile.
Remember, this issue assume there are no evidence of incorrect loading anywhere. Thats why I´d ask.

addons.cfg may be a good opputunity to look for bindings not working. But many of us doesnt use addons.cfg at all. (all features are comment out on my in /service/addons.cfg ).
And again, if there are no evidence of any bindings loaded incorrectly, this is like searching for something not really there.

The addons.config is the definitive file. It can be some other addon. Not just bindings. I think this behavior changed when the Karaf version was updated.