(SOLVED) openHab Backup growing tremendously in size

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0
  • Issue of the topic:

Hi,

I am running the standard openHab backup script once every 2 weeks, but recently (last 2 months), the size of the backup zip file has grown a lot…
In the beginning of January the size was about 15Mb, but every file since then has become larger and larger. The latest from 1. March was 53GB (!). I have not made any changes to the system in the timeframe. I am running influxdb to persist a little weather data for graphs on my habPanel and that’s it apart from standard items/rules etc.

Does anyone have an idea as to what can be going on? (I am only using 3GB on the SD card in the raspberry, so a 53GB backup file seems a little over the top:-) )

I am inserting the data from my influx.persist and my backup.things (which saves the backup on a mounted NAS) as I have no idea what other files could be interesting in this case.

Strategies {
    everyMinute : "0 * * * * ?"
    everyHour   : "0 0 * * * ?"
    everyDay    : "0 0 0 * * ?"
}

Items {
    TemperatureOut, TemperatureSensorCurrentTemperature, GPresent   : strategy = everyChange, everyHour
    Windspeed, CPU_Load1                      : strategy = everyHour
}
Thing exec:command:backup [
        // Command to execute
        command="sudo /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/backup /etc/openhab2/sharednas/%1$tY-%1$tm-%1$td-%1$tH-%1$tM",
        // interval time in seconds
        interval=0,
        // should it run when input channel is changed
        autorun=false]

Thank you very much for your replies.
Cheers,
Peter

Edit: I see now that the backup files are contained inside the data being backed up - the backup then doubles every time…how stupid of me:-)

3 Likes

You are not the only one! Thanks for pointing this out. I have just realised that I have been making the same mistake.

Haha😉 feels good that someelse has also done this:-)
Glad it helped you.