[SOLVED] openHAB Cloud expose items, I need guidance

Hi,
I have had a search of the forum and cannot find anything recent regarding items not being exposed to openhab cloud. And I seem to be having a few issues in the same area so I think this is my problem but not sure how to correct it.

I am trying to have a simple way top expose a list of items from OH2.4 tp myopenhab cloud service.

The two ways I am aware of both seem to have issues for me and I am also not sure which is prioritised if I have used both, and also how to clean it all so that I can start again.

PAPERUI
In the PaperUI if I look there I currently see the following.

The “one” item is this ‘cHolly_Phone,cZac_Phone,cOrian_Phone,cPaul_Phone,cSue_Phone,cSue_Tag,LocalWeather_Current_WindGust,Current_Pollen (cHolly_Phone,cZac_Phone,cOrian_Phone,cPaul_Phone,cSue_Phone,cSue_Tag,LocalWeather_Current_WindGust,Current_Pollen)’

CONFIG FILE
This correspionds to the list
I have specified in my /etc/openhab2/services/openhabcloud.cfg file

openhabcloud:expose=cHolly_Phone,cZac_Phone,cOrian_Phone,cPaul_Phone,cSue_Phone,cSue_Tag,LocalWeather_Current_WindGust,Current_Pollen

PROBLEM
However the log entry I recently got says that these items are NOT exposed.

2019-01-09 09:43:34.158 [WARN ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Received command from openHAB Cloud for item 'cPaul_Phone', which is not exposed.
	Line 21476: 2019-01-09 10:34:29.089 [WARN ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Received command from openHAB Cloud for item 'cPaul_Phone', which is not exposed.

and if I look at the items list on myopenhab server it has a completely different list AND I note that it has seen no update for around a week, which is probably when I last played in this area…

I am sure there is an easy explanation, can some one point it out to me (gently please).

Thanks

Paul

I don’t know the cause of your problem nor do I have an explanation for how to proceed except to say what I would do.

I believe the text config will take precedence over what is done in PaperUI.

So what I would do is delete all the Items configured to be shared in PaperUI (i.e. make them no longer listed in the cloud connector config, don’t delete the actual Items).

Delete all the Items configured to be shared from the cfg file, probably just comment out the line.

Stop OH.

Find and delete /var/lib/openhab2/org/openhab/openhabcloud.conf (I think it’s there, you may need to root around a bit if not).

Log into myopenhab.org and delete the Items listed there (it isn’t responding for me right now so I can’t tell you where, but I think you can find it).

This should clear out all the old stuff.

Start OH.

Re add the Items to be shared using PaperUI OR the cfg file, which ever is your personal preference for this sort of config.

Exercise all the Items. They will not appear in myopenhab.org until they receive an event after being shared.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Rich, I will give that a go in the morning.

I foolowed most of what yhou suggested and I seem to be a better place, there are still some odditys though. I am now thinking there may be some bugs in the paperui openHABCloud expose list that needs rectifying. See the end for what I consider to be bugs.

What I did:

1. I commented out the expose line from the services config file
  2. I deleted the list in the paperui openHABCloud expose list.
  3. I stopped OH
  4. I logged into myopenhab.org and deleted all items and events
  5. added the items to be added using the config file
  6. exercised each item in turn through REST and checked they appeared in the myopenhab.org website list.

That seemed fine, I have avoided PaperUI list for a few reasons.

1. The list selection mechanism is awful to work with, the list is too small as a drop down and is not sorted using the item name but instead it uses the quoted element text".
  2. There is no simply way to find which item(s) are already selected.
  3. Adding one item seems to overide what was previously selected, this along with the other two points above makes the selection method really poor for me.
  4. I added around twenty items using the expose parameter in the cfg file and it is reporting a 175 items as being selected. Not sure why. I think this is a bug.

see screen shot

Thanks Rich for you help, I will hopefully make some progress now that my items are being exposed to the cloud correctly.

Paul

2 Likes

Hi, i am driving crazy

it worked in the past.

Yes, i know that the items should be updated to be displayed into myopenhab

i have updated all the items from CURL

openhabcloud.cfg :
#mode=remote

expose=bye_gil,bye_hen,bye_karen,bye_natan,bye_noya,ga_Chambres_ALL,ga_Clim_1,ga_Clim_2,ga_Clim_3,ga_Clim_4,ga_Clim_5,ga_Clim_ALL,ga_irobot,ga_led_all,ga_led_desk,ga_led_mini2,ga_led_mini3,ga_led_mini4,ga_Light_ALL,ga_Salon_ALL,ga_Switcher,ga_Toilets,GlobalScene,iftt_Switch,IFTTT_Calendar,irobot,M1_1,M1_2,M1_3,M1_4,msg_gil,msg_hen,msg_karen,msg_nathan,msg_noya,msg_tahel,Shabbat_Switch,SP2_1,SP2_2,SP2_3,Switcher,TelegramInput,TerraseSwitch2,Toilets,VoiceCommand,VoiceToSpeak,VoiceToTV,wmd_gil,wmd_global,wmd_hen,wmd_karen,wmd_noya,ZWaveSwitch1_Channel1_Right,ZWaveSwitch1_Channel2_Left

i have followed the two posts without success

Delete all the Items configured to be shared in PaperUI (i.e. make them no longer listed in the cloud connector config, don’t delete the actual Items).

Delete all the Items configured to be shared from the cfg file, probably just comment out the line.

Stop OH.

Find and delete /var/lib/openhab2/org/openhab/openhabcloud.conf (I think it’s there, you may need to root around a bit if not).

Log into [myopenhab.org](http://myopenhab.org/) and delete the Items listed there (it isn’t responding for me right now so I can’t tell you where, but I think you can find it).

1. I commented out the expose line from the services config file
  2. I deleted the list in the paperui openHABCloud expose list.
  3. I stopped OH
  4. I logged into myopenhab.org and deleted all items and events
  5. added the items to be added using the config file
  6. exercised each item in turn through REST and checked they appeared in the myopenhab.org website list.

First some details.

When you updated the Item, did you change their sate? That IFTTT trigger requires the Item to change state.

Please please please don’t expose ALL your Items to IFTTT. Only expose that Items that you are actually using through IFTTT. Whenever myopenhab.org gets slow or goes offline, it’s because of users exposing all their Items even when they only need to expose a couple.

You have a mix of configuration through PaperUI and cfg files. Typically the cfg file will take precedence. But it might have a problem with the mode being commented out. Try removing the comment for the mode line.

Thanks Rich

the number 581 is a defect. it do not reflect the accurate number set in the file (20)

• I have commented all the file

• unselect paper ui

• delete all the Items configured to be shared in PaperUI (i.e. make them no longer listed in the cloud connector config, don’t delete the actual Items).

• Stop Server

• Find and delete /var/lib/openhab2/org/openhab/openhabcloud.conf

• Delete cache and temp

• Start server

• Select to expose 7 items in the paperui

• from a sitemap, Update from OFF to ON and ON to OFF, the exposed items

Switch item=GlobalScene mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=iftt_Switch mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=IFTTT_Calendar mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=Shabbat_Switch mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=TelegramInput mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=VoiceCommand mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=VoiceToSpeak mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]
    Switch item=irobot mappings=[ON=“All On”,OFF=“All Off”]

Some items are defined as string items but displayed as a switch to change easily the state.

• Wait 30 minutes

Still do not work :frowning:

a new recurring error in my log
`2019-01-29 09:08:13.418 [WARN ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Jetty request 2585025 failed: null

2019-01-29 09:08:13.424 [WARN ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Response Failure: null

2019-01-29 09:08:43.800 [ERROR] [ersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder] - An I/O error has occurred while writing a response message entity to the container output stream.

org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.process.MappableException: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException

at org.glassfish.jersey.server.internal.MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.aroundWriteTo(MappableExceptionWrapperInterceptor.java:92) ~[?:?]

at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.WriterInterceptorExecutor.proceed(WriterInterceptorExecutor.java:162) ~[171:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-common:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.message.internal.MessageBodyFactory.writeTo(MessageBodyFactory.java:1130) ~[171:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-common:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.writeResponse(ServerRuntime.java:711) [172:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-server:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.processResponse(ServerRuntime.java:444) [172:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-server:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$Responder.process(ServerRuntime.java:434) [172:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-server:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$2.run(ServerRuntime.java:329) [172:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-server:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:271) [171:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-common:2.22.2]

at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:267) [171:org.glassfish.jersey.core.jersey-common:2.22.2]`

@rlkoshak, it do not work yet

in spite that the expose is well stored

What i am missing?

i have also uninstalled and reinstalled the openhabcloud Binding without sucsess

I don’t know. The steps you took are the ones I would recommend.

It is encouraging that the list matches between PaperUI and the cfg file. But the error does show there is some sort of communication problem between OH and myopenhab.org.

All I can say is that others are doing this successfully. I can’t say what is going wrong for your setup.

1 Like

I renounced. I restore an image one month old

Is it solved? I am facing this same issue?

Hi @Sudipta_Ghorui. At the moment, you can’t expose new items to PaperUI. This had to be turned off due to database issues that were crashing myopenhab.org.

If your goal was to use a system like IFTTT, then you unfortunately won’t have any luck at the moment. However, you shouldn’t need to expose items via PaperUI for Alexa or Google Assistant to work, since they use tags in the item definitions.

Thanks @rpwong for the quick response.
I got it. No problem I can leave without IFTTT. I was just wondering if I am doing anything wrong.

Actually, you can integrate OH with IFTTT without exposing Items using the Webhooks channels. IFTTT can both send (through myopenhab.org) and receive HTTP calls . You will have to use basic auth in the URL for the calls to myopenhab.org though.

Hi,
as I’m facing the same issue: Is it planned to be reactivated again in the future? If so, will it be published in this thread?
Thanks for your help and best regards

Also, @wsd33904 just wrote this post:

How To: Integrate Custom openHAB Cloud with IFTTT

It will probably be reactivated, but only if/when the experts can figure out how to prevent it from killing myopenhab. It’ll likely be discussed in the “Myopenhab not reachable” thread linked above, so that’s the one to follow.

Is there any progress on this?
My IFTTT applets also don’t work anymore.

Hello!

I’ve also had the same problem, and I was using almost a year old nightly because of this, but, few days ago I’ve updated OH to the latest nightly, and IFTTT applets seams to work with it. Maybe you could try updating and see if yours are working too.

Best regards,
Davor

Hi, thank you for your answer.
Still some questions

• I understood that this feature was disabled on cloud level and not in the openhab instance?
  • are these nightly builds stable enough to use in my house?

Correct.

It depends. When updating to the latest SNAPSHOT you are updating to code that has just been merged and has not yet seen wide testing. So any given upgrade may break your particular configuration. But once installed, if nothing breaks, they run as stably as the milestones and the releases. To the stability of the snapshots really depends on how often you upgrade.