[SOLVED] Openhab not starting - Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.ui.bundles/org.openhab.ui.dashboard/2.5.0.M2

Ok, I found the parameter in the addons.config file that i removed and put back, and it have

remote="true"

At this stage, neither the remote parameter nor removing the addons.config file seems to have effect.

Wrong file, add it to your addons.cfg.

… and wrong syntax:

remote=true

ok, I tried the following
I did add remote=true (by un-commenting the line) and even tried remote = true as it appears when commented out in the file, but no change, the error is still there.
I also tried to remove the file addons.cfg that you suggested I’d remove if the above would not work, and it did not change anything either…

It can’t because you are not doing what I suggested.
addons.config in /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/ is autogenerated during startup of openHAB and should not be edited manually.
The contents of addons.config are generated from your addons.cfg.
So delete addons.config, add remote=true to your addons.cfg and restart openHAB.

It could always be this of course :slight_smile: but in this case I believe I did what you suggested, but was probably not clear in my last message:

The last edits I did were in the addons.cfg file, not in the addons.config one. And I restarted openhab after that.

This sound pretty clear and I did not suggest that :sunglasses:

Ahhh… This is an edit mistake : What I did was to remove the addons.config… Sorry for burning your time like this…

1 Like

Last idea: add package=expert to your addons.cfg

Delete cache and tmp files after shutting down OH?

Thanks Bruce. I did that 20 times already, after properly shutting down openhab service… I had an issue long time ago and cleaning the cache was the solution, so it is the first thing I tried…

1 Like

I just tried that… No luck either…

One general question :

Why is openhab downloading this
Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.ui.bundles/org.openhab.ui.dashboard/2.5.0.M2
at startup?

What exactly is it trying to do? Isn’t it the sign that something is not properly installed?

The dashboard is part of the core system. Try sudo apt-get install --reinstall openhab. Perhaps it will correct things.

I have done it 4 times already (at least) and no change…

After reading this message, I thought I’d upgrade to stretch just in case, I did it. And tried to reinstall openhab again with the --reinstall option and no change:-(

I tried more things… I downgraded to M1-1, but got error messages (I’ll address them in a topic specifically talking about downgrading to 2.5M1).
I then used openhabian-config option 40 to upgrade to M2-1 and I’m back to where I was before with the same problem.

I think at this stage we would need someone who can explain what openhab is trying to do when “installing boot features”? Is it something that happens every time openhab starts or it is something that is a kind of last part of the upgrade process?

Thanks,

Make a backup of your config and purge openHAB.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience sihui. By purging openhab, you mean un-install it? Or there is a more extensiv purge process?

I just did it and… same problem, same error…

My OS can’t be that corrupted if I was able to upgrade from Jessie to Stretch, I think that the problem would have shown up during the install… It must be something else.

Reading this message here, I think might guide me to the root cause:

seems to indicate that a component of Java runtime environment is corrupted. Now I need to re-install it. I’m on it…

[21:45:08] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ sudo journalctl -u openhab2.service -b
[sudo] password for openhabian:
-- Logs begin at Thu 2016-11-03 18:16:43 CET, end at Sat 2019-08-24 21:52:05 CEST. --
Aug 24 21:43:13 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Started openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home.
Aug 24 21:43:25 openHABianPi karaf[454]: WARNING: The library file '/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/aarch32/libverify.so' is corrupt
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: #
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x75651970, pid=454, tid=0x752ca470
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_152-b76) (build 1.8.0_152-b76)
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (25.152-b76 mixed mode, Evaluation linux-aarch32 )
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # Problematic frame:
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # V  [libjvm.so+0x307970]  JVM_GetClassNameUTF+0x8
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unl
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # An error report file with more information is saved as:
Aug 24 21:43:28 openHABianPi karaf[454]: # /var/lib/openhab2/hs_err_pid454.log
Aug 24 21:43:29 openHABianPi systemd[1]: openhab2.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Aug 24 21:43:31 openHABianPi karaf[627]: WARNING: The library file '/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/aarch32/libverify.so' is corrupt
Aug 24 21:43:32 openHABianPi karaf[627]: Can't connect to the container. The container is not running.
Aug 24 21:43:32 openHABianPi systemd[1]: openhab2.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Aug 24 21:43:32 openHABianPi systemd[1]: openhab2.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 24 21:43:32 openHABianPi systemd[1]: openhab2.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
Aug 24 21:43:37 openHABianPi systemd[1]: openhab2.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Aug 24 21:43:37 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Stopped openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home.

And finally, it seems that the corrupted file was the zuluxxx.deb in the archives folder… I removed them all, and re-installed zulu thing with apt… which downloaded a fresh .deb file and voilà, working…

Except that I “nuked” my install less than an hour ago :slight_smile: so I need to put it back in place… I never restored anything from an openhabd back, I’ll give it a try and if it does not work, I will consider restoring a backup of SD card from today and fix the zulu stuff and restart clean.

Thanks a lot @sihui and @Bruce_Osborne for your help. Hopefully I’ll be able to sail a bit more autonomously now…

1 Like

Conclusion on this one : I had problems with my SD card backup and for some reason it did not re-install (raimbow screen), problem with boot partition… Tough day but doing the following finally worked - just in case it could be of interest for someone else:

• Flash a new SD Card with the backup
  • Get a Raspbian Jessie install package - find the one the closest to the date of the files i saw on my boot partition (in my case, Sept 2017…)
  • Copy the files from the boot partition of the just above downloaded file to the boot folder on the SD Card (except the text ones) from my Windows machine
  • Finally, get Pi to boot
  • Remove the zulu *.deb files from archives
  • apt remove zulu
  • apt install zulu
  • and I’m back to where I was 10 days ago…

Thank you again @sihui & @Bruce_Osborne for your help and patience.

1 Like