[SOLVED] openHABian inital setup problem: [ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-serial1.device

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Quad-core Cortex-A7/1GB/Unknown? (Raspberry Pi 2)
    • Java Runtime Environment: Unknown?
    • openHAB version: Unknown?
  • Issue of the topic: Initial set-up fails
    Have tried the initial set up of openHABian in many different ways with each time throwing up some sort of problem. With v1.3 and v1.1 It can’t connect to the network via Ethernet (The Ethernet port definitely works as other devices can connect using it perfectly)
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Starting the openHABian initial setup.
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Storing configuration... OK
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Changing default username and password... OK
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Setting up Ethernet connection... OK
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Ensuring network connectivity...

(Goes no further despite waiting up to 45 mins)

With v1.4.1 I get the error:

2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Changing default username and password... OK
2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Ensuring network connectivity... [  OK  ] Started OpenBSD Secure Shell server
[  TIME  ] Timed out waiting for device dev-serial1.device.

(Goes no further despite waiting up to 45 mins)

Have successfully done the intial set up of Raspbian-lite and used SSH to type commands to the Pi.
I would happily fix the problem given some commands to type, except I cannot type anything after what is shown by the logs, and cannot exit the log file.

Also worth noting that I have set this up on an identical Pi 2 before using the same Ethernet port and had to change the eth0 settings in dhcppcd.conf to give a static IP (openHABian and Static IP Address) as the DCHP set up the IP addresses completely wrong (however did not have this problem)

Before the following are suggested as a fix, I have already tried:

• Writing different versions of openHABian (v1.1/v1.3/v1.4.1) using Win32DiskImager and fully formatting the SD each time.
  • Using a different SD (normal one is 8GB, tried with 32GB with the same errors)
  • Changing the openhabian.conf file to use WiFi instead of Ethernet (with no luck as the Pi 2 doesn’t have WiFi built in)
  • Using a different Ethernet port on the router

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can spare some time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Have you tried installing using the openhabian image https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases/tag/v1.4.1

Sorry if I didn’t make my post clear enough, I’ll summarise it here:
The raspbian-lite image worked (so the raspberry pi is functioning properly), the openHABian images do not work.
This is the problem I am trying to sort, neither v1.1, v1.3 or v1.4.1 will complete the initial set up (errors from the log posted above)
Anymore questions just let me know.

Reading a few other post, with similar issue, some had success connecting the pi directly to the router for the install. I see you use Win32DiskImager, and it worked for other images, but I would also try using Etcher.

Also, make sure the power supply is good and nothing else is plugged into the USB ports during install.

Downloaded Etcher and formatted the SD before writing the openHABian v1.4.1 image, plugged it in using a raspberry pi branded 5V 2A power supply.
The Ethernet connection is okay, so it seems to be connecting to the internet.
Nothing is plugged into USB ports.
This time I get an error that is pretty similar other than the ‘nectivity’ on the end of the last line and no OpenBSD shell is started:

2018-03-13_22:53:43_UTC [openHABian] Ensuring network connectivity... [  OK  ]
[  TIME  ] Timed out waiting for device dev-serial1.device.nectivity

Could you provide some links to the other topics you have read? I’ve searched for days and found nothing that has worked / been helpful / relevant.
Is there any other way to set up OpenHAB and an MQTT server other than running openHABian? Such as running it within Raspbian-lite or another OS that works with the Pi?

There are only 2 other topics I found that had the same issue. Unfortunately, the solution for them were things you’ve already tried. Looking for answers outside the forum relate only to other OS. This is an issue with openhabian and either the Pi or something you may not be doing correctly. I think you proved this by installing another OS on the same Pi/SD card.

I invited @ThomDietrich to join this topic, hopefully he can give some advise to help solve the problem. Meantime, if you have a 2.5A power supply or one from another Pi, I would try using it. I say that b/c log show’s all OK until dev-serial connection, maybe openhabian uses all the power it can get at this point?:thinking: Also, whatever you did this time got you 9 more letters and a period further.:grin: Did you connect directly to the router?

Thanks for your help,
I did connect directly to the router (both through a socket that passes the connection through the mains as well as the actual Ethernet port from the router, both of which are directly wired in)

I hope Tom will be able to help me, as I don’t think I have a 2.5A PSU. I may try combining two 2.1A USB sockets into one cable to allow the Pi to draw up to 4.2A, however I don’t really feel like destorying some cables until I have to.

100% agree.:+1:

For some reason I was thinking you had another RPI.

Best of Luck

You are correct in thinking that, I referenced my other Pi in the original post. I set that one up in the same way before, but its currently running at a friends house.

Thanks for your help.

When the pi setup freezes. Are you lgged in over ssh or using an hdmi port?

Either one should allow for control c to stop the setup and give a prompt. If that is not working I too suspect the power supply. I suspect because something similar happened to me/. It has been some time so I don’t remember the conditions but I do remember odd behavior. In addition my other pi worked with the same setup.

For the supply do you have a roku or Chromecast? You could try the supply on those. Just to debug. Also try a second usb cable I believe I had one usb cable that cause and issue for me.

Lastly, you can install mqtt by using the command line. Sudo apt-get mosquito I believe. Should be able to find the install process in google or in the forum. Openhabian is just Raspbian-lite with an automated set of install scripts. In fact you could install Raspbian lite then install openhabian Manually and use it to install mosquito. There is instruction how to install in the forum as well.

I can’t log in over SSH as it’s not set up yet so I am using HDMI.

I can try the Chromecast PSU, however it puts out a lower number of amps than what i’m using now, but will give it a go.

Ctrl-C didn’t do anything as I remember. I tried lots of things like Ctrl-Z with no luck, just printing the characters to the bottom of the log file.

Can try a USB cable also, thanks for the help and i’ll get back to you tomorrow.

I added this to post as you responded. Another option.

On hdmi if you type alt-f2 it should open another terminal window to login. If that does not work this would mean your keyboard latched. At this point I would definitely suspect power. Had this type of thing happen to me once.

1 Like

Thanks for adding some good tips @Thedannymullen. If hardware wise, all is good, then I’m very curious to what the issue may be.

Btw, last 2 Roku’s I bought came with a 5v 1A power supply, to low for an RPI but there great for Esp8266 and Esp32.:grinning:

1 Like

With the Pi on a 2.1A PSU (I don’t have larger, and this has worked before using 2A), the keyboard commands work fine, however when I hit Alt F2, the screen goes black with a small white cursor top left, dims a bit then goes completely black. No response after this.

Could you link me to the page showing how to set openhabian up on raspbian-lite?

Thanks!

Did you try Alt F2 as described above?
Here’s the setup with rasp.

https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html#features

My bad - I wrote F4 instead of F2 (which is what I actually did)
Post edited accordingly

So in the past week or so I have reinstalled the latest version of Rapsbian-Lite, which worked fine, and followed the guide on how to set up openhabian from within this. I haven’t had any errors, however openHAB is just not running?

I have looked up if there is a command to ‘start’ OpenHAB, and have just found a ‘restart’ which again gives no errors but doesn’t seem to start anything.

Pinging the Pi’s IP works fine, but then trying to open the default OpenHab webpage doesn’t work.

The documentation is really poor, any suggestions?
Many thanks

Have you tried with the RPI’s IP address in the browser e.g. 10.0.1.4:8080

Yep that’s what i’m trying to do. Port 8080 should bring up a web page, but instead brings up:

This site can't be reached
192.168.1.77:8080 refused to connect

Also worth noting that no other devices on the network are displaying a web page with the same port, they all use different ports (something which I recently changed to avoid the problem)