[Solved] Problem installing HABpanel UI

I have been testing out openHAB 2 a bit and so far it looks very promising.

I have tried installing the HABpanel UI (and also HABmin) from PaperUI but have run into some problems. From the list of installed UIs it looks like HABpanel has been installed correctly, but when I got to the starting page (similair to http://localhost:8080/start/index) the HABpanel UI does not show up.

I have tried most base installation package configurations including demo, standard and minimal. Other UIs like Basic and Classic works perfectly.

I have tried some diffrent nightly builds but with the same result. Currently running build 698 running on Windows 10 64bit with Java SE 1.8.0_111. Have I missed some dependancy or are there any specific versions of Java needed in order to get HABpanel to work?

I have read most documentation and threads I have found but not found a similair problem. Next step is to try another computer/OS and see if I have more luck.

Worth mentioning is that I get a lot of errors in the log similair to the following directly after trying to install the HABpanel UI:

23:38:32.520 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent ] - Extension ‘package-minimal’ has been installed.
23:39:37.791 [ERROR] [org.openhab.ui.habpanel ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.openhab.ui.habpanel
org.osgi.framework.ServiceException: Exception in org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService()
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.factoryGetService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:222)[org.eclipse.osgi-3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar:]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.getService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:111)[org.eclipse.osgi-3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar:]

Thanks!

Update:
Tested the latest build (710 with the online repos) and now I get another error after trying to setup packages with standard setup. All UIs except for HABpanel are working:

00:15:13.567 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start
00:15:14.980 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent ] - Extension ‘package-standard’ has been installed.
00:15:25.002 [ERROR] [org.openhab.ui.habpanel ] - BundleComponentActivator : Bundle [179] Unexpected failure enabling component holder org.openhab.ui.habpanel
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/openhab/ui/habpanel/internal/HABPanelDashboardTile : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)[:1.7.0_71]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)[:1.7.0_71]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.defineClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:272)[org.eclipse.osgi-3.10.101.v20150820-1432.jar:]

Finally managed to resolve the problem.

Was messsing around with removing the JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME from the path of Windows. When I relaunched OpenHAB again the suddenly the Windows Firewall poped up and when I added the Java application to exceptions the HABpanel UI became available.

Added the JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME and OPENhab are still working as expected. Not sure why I didn’t recieve the popup from java in the first place but this was likely the problem all along.

Hope this finding helps someone else running Windows 10.

I have been struggling with the exact problem for a long time now… and finally decided to sign up to the forum to figure it out. And here you are with an answer, so I appreciate you posting it.

I added the following to my User variables path, but could not add to the System variables even though I am admin on the computer (windows 8). Do the settings look correct?

JRE_HOME C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111
JAVA_HOME C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_80

the habpanel is still not showing up for me. I have four entries for Java in teh Firewall, so I checked to allow them all… still no luck.

When I started openHAB I no longer see the registry errors I was getting, but am still getting a “karaf.bat: Ignoring predefined value for KARAF_HOME” - I am not sure what this is about?

I am still getting teh “Unsupported major.minor version 52.0” error.

Hi Terry.
Actually I got my HABpanel UI to work once I removed my JRE_HOME and JAVA_HOME from my System/user Variables. OpenHAB seam to work perfectly without the paths set. Try removing them and see if it works.

If this does not work try writing “where java” from your command line and see where java is installed.

If you don’t get it working I can verify my Firewall settings when I get home from work.

I finally got it to show up at least, I uninstalled all the Java items from my computer (I finally decided having Java in both the Program Files and Program Files x86 is probably not good). I re-installed the java package for 64 bit windows and everything installed under Program Files (only) in the same java directory. Now the symbolic links in the path point to the correct locations. I just have to figure out what the “KARAF_HOME” value is for now… thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 Like