[SOLVED] (Raspberry Pi 4) openHABian v1.5.0 Error w/ Installing Zulu Embedded OpenJDK

Hey there
I had the same problems, trying a lot of suggestions out of several forums (12 hours and more)… this one worked!
Thanks a lot for this detailled instruction!
btw, I had to reset my raspi and tried it the same way. the whole workaround was only successfull with a ethernet connection, not with wifi…

Hi, I’m new here and I have the same problem as OP, I’m currently trying danpadure’s fix but I don’t know how to SSH into the RPi, when I try SSH throught PuTTy it says connection refused, please help I’m almost giving up.

1 Like

Welcome to the OpenHAB community
don’t give up but perhaps start a new thread then yes

1 Like

Hi Markusl
Welcome to the OpenHAB community!
Thanks for contributing

Am I having the same problem on my openhabian ([master]v1.5-526(0986fff)) system?
After the run of “Upgrade System” I do see this:

$ java_install_or_update
openjdk version "1.8.0_152"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu Embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_152-b76)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu Embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf) (build 25.152-b76, mixed mode, Evaluation)

$ systemctl stop openhab2.service
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu Embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf) (build 1.8.0_152-b76)
OpenJDK Client VM (Zulu Embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf) (build 25.152-b76, mixed mode, Evaluation)
2019-10-28_17:43:09_CET [openHABian] Installing Java Zulu 32-Bit OpenJDK...
$ wget -nv -O /tmp/openhabian.K2qCz/zulu8.tar.gz
http://: Ungültiger Hostname.

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
FAILED

The Java version is unchanged

and I had to restart openHAB.

I went through the Github link posted by @om_ni but my files “java-jre.bash”
and “first-boot.bash” do not match with the given description.

Im running into the same Problem with both upgrading and also a fresh and or manual install.
Johannes

from git hub thread:

2 Likes

:+1:
Worked! Thanks.
I was a bit worried before, because my “first-boot.bash” did look a bit different.

Just to be sure. I assume that the problems with installing the Zulu Embedded OpenJDK is independent of the Raspberry Pi hardware used. I see only the Pi 4 mentioned but I see the same trouble at installing Openhab on my RPI 3B+. Can someone please confirm that using the suggested solution will also work on the RPI 3B+ (and others)? Thanks to all contributing to this open source project!:+1:

it should be fixed in the latest revison of the openhabian config tool:

Does this mean that the fix is also made in the image for RPi available for download? Or is the manual install the only way to go at the moment? Please let me know what I can do as a newb lacking a lot of Linux knowledge.

Don’t know if it is in the image yet but if not you can flash a buster image and install the openhabian-config tool and use the manual setup options there. I don’t know if the tool doesn’t update itself before an install on an openhabian image.
Johannes

Ok, thanks. I’ll give it a try.

openhabian-config will update itself on start so the fix will be in.

2 Likes