[SOLVED] Rule stopped working correctly

I have a that turns the heating off if one of the main doors is open for more than 20 seconds and then turns the heating back on when the door is closed.

It also has Amazon Alexa announce the heating being turned off and on.

This used to work fine, but has now started to have Alexa announce that the heating has been turned on every time the door is closed.

The 20 second ‘Heating turned off’ still works correctly.

The rule is below, can someone advise what has changed to cause this?

Many thanks.

var Timer timer = null

rule "gMainDoors CLOSED"
when
    Item gMainDoors changed to CLOSED
then
    if(timer !== null) {
        timer.cancel()
        timer = null}
    if(NestTStat_away_mode.state == "HOME") return;
    NestTStat_away_mode.sendCommand("HOME")
    Echo_Living_Room_TTS.sendCommand('Heating turned on')
end

rule "gMainDoors OPEN"
when
    Item gMainDoors changed to OPEN
then
    if(timer === null) {
        timer = createTimer(now.plusSeconds(20)) [|
            NestTStat_away_mode.sendCommand("AWAY")
            Echo_Living_Room_TTS.sendCommand('Heating turned off')
            timer = null]}
    else
        {NestTStat_away_mode.sendCommand("HOME")}
end

I think that is a potential trap. If you ever add another rule with a timer,be very careful not to use the same variable name. I’d use something like doorsTimer to avoid later problems.

If your rule is getting past that line when you don’t expect it, you probably want to investigate by logging out the actual state using logInfo() before the if() test.

Thanks for replying.

Following your advice I get this in the log file;

2020-01-31 11:38:33.820 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'gMainDoors CLOSED': An error occurred during the script execution: Could not invoke method: org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.actions.LogAction.logInfo(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.Object[]) on instance: null

That refers to your logInfo() addition that we have not seen.

Ah - so something I introduced.

The line I added is;

logInfo(gMainDoors, "timer state is; %1$", timer)

Okay, logInfo requires two strings at its simplest. You can of course build up strings from parts. Your gMainDoors Item is not a string. Your timer variable is not a string.

I have no idea why you are looking at timer at all. You’ve just set it to null. You know its null. It has no bearing on whether the heating-on code is executed or not.

The gateway if() toyour heating-on code is controlled by an Item state. I thinkit would be useful to know that Item state?

logInfo("test" , "Item state " + NestTStat_away_mode.state.toString)

Thanks.
This is what was logged;

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==

2020-01-31 12:06:22.211 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gMainDoors changed from CLOSED to OPEN through Security_Door_Back

2020-01-31 12:06:22.222 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Security_Door_Back changed from CLOSED to OPEN

2020-01-31 12:06:22.247 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gContact changed from CLOSED to OPEN through gMainDoors

2020-01-31 12:06:26.513 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gMainDoors changed from OPEN to CLOSED through Security_Door_Back

2020-01-31 12:06:26.518 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gContact changed from OPEN to CLOSED through gMainDoors

2020-01-31 12:06:26.524 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Security_Door_Back changed from OPEN to CLOSED

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2020-01-31 12:06:26.526 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.test] - Item StateNULL

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==

2020-01-31 12:06:26.584 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'NestTStat_away_mode' received command HOME

2020-01-31 12:06:26.667 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'Echo_Living_Room_TTS' received command Heating turned on

2020-01-31 12:06:26.676 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - NestTStat_away_mode predicted to become NULL

2020-01-31 12:06:26.681 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_TTS predicted to become Heating turned on

2020-01-31 12:06:26.709 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAlexa_TTS changed from  to UNDEF through Echo_Living_Room_TTS

2020-01-31 12:06:26.714 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_TTS changed from  to Heating turned on

2020-01-31 12:06:28.444 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAlexa_TTS changed from UNDEF to  through Echo_Living_Room_TTS

2020-01-31 12:06:28.457 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_TTS changed from Heating turned on to 

Here is your problem. Somehow NestTStat_away_mode.state is NULL (and thus not "HOME").
I think you have to find out why NestTStat_away_mode is NULL. Does the binding still works?

Thanks Laurens.

My nest binding is no longer working.