[SOLVED] Somfy IO rollershutter motors, which system is best for using with OH2?

While the RTS is primarily designed for windows and doors, io-homecontrol® can also control other products in your home environment, such as: As the heating, lighting, ventilation or access security.

But there are also rollershutters driven by io-homecontrol, which is the newer technology.

I just got 8 shutters with Somfy IO motors and the Connexoon bridge. It worked right out of the box and got it up and running in OH2 in 5 minutes. So far no problems.

I only use the Connexoon as bridge and control all the shutters by OH2 or the Somfy remotes ( 2 X Situo5 and 1 Smoove ). I have created a rule to turn on the light when 2 specific shutters are closed.

If you want to know the position of your shutters you need the IO system.

2 Likes

I’m using an RFXtrx433e with 6 Somfy roller blinds. System works reliably and I didn’t have any problem to set it up. Unfortunately the system only support opening and closing the blinds and not a percentage value to have the blind lets say 50% open.

The only disadvantage I would mention regarding the RFXCOM solution is that the initial programming of the motors is a bit complicated as you need the Windows tool for rfxtrx433e.

2 Likes

Hi,

I connected a dumb switch controlled motor to my OpenHab using “Shelly 2.5” wifi actuator. This is a 20EUR small unit with two relays, two 230v switch inputs and power metering. It comes with its own robust firmware, but you can flash Tasmota on it if you like.
In rollershutter mode the power metering allows the firmware to do obstacle detection and motor movement detection based on measuring the motor current. It switching the relay off right after the movement stopped. It can also calibrate itself and accept absolute sutter position commands. Relay interlock is provided by the firmware and works reliably even if you give mixed commands from wall switch and MQTT.
You can connent your wall switches to the inputs and the original firmware supports MQTT over the wifi. Using the 2.0 MQTT binding in OH it was pretty straight forward to have the sutters controlled from Openhab UI. I have up-down-stop buttons and position buttons as well. I am using the controller for three months daily without a single glitch.

2 Likes

Hi,
i have 3 Somfy motors which all work fine. Similar to you I have rollershutters integrated into the windows. Initially they were manual and i installed the motors 4 years ago. I use Homematic to control them without problems as i use HM for other reasons as well. I wouldn’t recommend using proprietary Somfy and also not adding Homematic as another Wifi 868 MHz solution but stick with ZWave and extend it. In case you need to change something in the future it’s definitely easier to exchange controlers than Somfy RF motors implemented in your windows.

1 Like

I am using RTS shutters with the CUL USB868 interface from busware. The CUL is CC1101-based and is mosty used with FHEM instead of openHAB. Although optimized for 868 MHz, it works just fine on 433 MHz as well.

I have a little python daemon that receives messages via MQTT and sends them to the CUL. With that, I can control Somfy shutters, Intertechno-based plugs and more (a list of devices supported by the firmware is here.

Bear in mind, this is no pre-integrated solution, so getting it to work requires a decent amount of scripting.

This setup, although missing the feedback channel, works very reliable for me. The missing feedback results in some automations to fail when manual control is done, as the system cannot know the exact state. But for me, that’s minor thing.

I’m pretty happy with the RTS hardware itself (no issues at all since 8 years with 6 shutters + 2 sun shades).

For me, the Somfy solution is way more stable than any of the Z-Wave based sensors / actors that I have (UZB1 stick + Fibaro and Devolo sensors), running productive since 3 years basically without change or interruption.

1 Like

Many thanks to all who have made their contribution so far. :slight_smile:

I summarize:

I’m just as smart as before.

Some of you recommend Z-Wave, others advise against it.

Some are very satisfied with RTS or RFXTRX433XL, others are not.

One has no problems at all with the Connexoon solution.

Others are satisfied with io-homecontrol, but many are not.

Tahoma is not recommended by anyone.

Some recommend Shelly, Tasmota and / or MQTT or CUL with MQTT or simply Homematic.

What about io-homecontrol together with the Velux KLF 200 gateway and Velux Binding? Any experiences?

I have 6 of these drapery motors and the very awesome and helpful people @chris and @sihui were able to recently add it to the ZWave database as a supported device and it works perfectly.

You just need the motors only, they have built in ZWave chips in them…are included into your network like any other ZWave device and you do not need any further hardware or bridges…just need to have the blind motors powered up…they are also capable of running on battery packs but I wouldn’t suggest that.

I am just not sure if they are available in your area with your ZWave Frequency…I am in Canada.

Finesse.pdf (372.8 KB)

These were for drapery, but I believe they have larger ones for Rollshutters as well.

2 Likes

This is certain a good solution. I use a somfy wt motor with the fibaro Rollershutter.

2 Likes

This is the (dis)advantage of OH :grinning:
It offers too many possibilities …

I personally would not rely on a gateway, is another piece in between making all more complicated.
I made all with z-wave switches, actors, sensors aso, as it is neccessary that my wired system works parallel.
So if my OH system is down all is still working, just smartness is missing.
I guess otherwise my wife would kill me some time :wink:

3 Likes

:smiley: I know exactly what you mean!

3 Likes

Finally I got 7 rollershutters with “Somfy Oximo IO” motors, they are paired with Velux KLF 200 Gateway (and communicating through io-homecontrol, bidirectional) and they are running very reliable with OH2 Velux Binding.

Also see here.

2 Likes

Also just got a Connexoon, up and running in 5 min. Connected a few of the shutters, up to now 0 problems, all working nicely…:slight_smile:

1 Like

The are two stable solutions now.

#1: Somfy Oximo IO connected to Velux KLF 200, using Velux Binding.

#2: Somfy Oximo IO connected to Connexoon using Somfy Tahoma Binding.

I prefer the Velux solution, because it operates on local LAN, without the need for an internet connection and dependency of a cloud service.

1 Like

Just confirming you have RTS motors working with Connexcoon as other info in this post say it only works with io-homecontrol?

Hi,
how do i connect Somfy’s Connexcoon to OH2?
i asked the local Somfy expert and he didn’t know that one can use Connexcoon with other interface other than Somfy’s app

My given solutions above expects io (=io-homecontrol) motors.

But there are also RTS motors, e.g. Oximo RTS motors available. And there are two different versions of Connexoon available. One with io-homecontrol and another one with RTS. Both can be connected via Tahoma Binding to openhab.

@Celaeno1 I have a question regarding your setup.
Can you see the current position of your Somfy devices in OH2 when you use the Velux binding? So is the communication bidirectional?
And do you have any issues with the radio conenction or is this stable?

A kolleague has the Somfy blind motors j406io and shutters Oximo 40io. I would try the Velux gw if you think this should work on this setup. The alternative would be to move the actors to homematic ip because he has already some components and a GW there. But a Velux GW would be cheaper than replacing 12 actors.

Yes, I can.

Yes, it is.

No issues, it’s stable.

I can only tell you that Somfy Oximo IO shuttermotors are running with the Velux KLF200. The rest I don’t know, sorry.

1 Like

Thank you for this thread. I would have never discovered the Velux controller without it. I just ordered it and I’m looking forward to using it with my 9 Somfy IO driven roller shutters. No cloud connection required was the biggest selling point for me, besides reliability, of course. I’m happy to share my experiences with it if someone finds this thread in the future.

1 Like