[SOLVED] Using the name and logo of openHAB in an own Android app

He is offline for a couple of days. Please be patient.

Because the name openHAB is trademarked you cannot use it in the name of your app without permission from the openHAB foundation, the trademark owner. The other Android app, I was referring to, HABPanelViewer uses ‘for openHAB’. I do not know if there was given some permission, but I guess that way of usage might be ok. Regarding the logo. I don’t think it’s allowed to use the logo in your app, for example, as thumbnail as that would clearly give the impression it’s an official openHAB app.
BTW HABPanelViewer can also show the log, just like your app.

@Kai So if I design a completely new logo and if I name it “LogViewer for openHAB” it´s ok?

Like I stated, he said he would be offline for a couple of days. Be Patient!

2 Likes

I just meant that you might want to contribute the feature to the existing app to improve its value and contribute to building up official openHAB functionality. But I don’t know anything about making apps. :grinning:

1 Like

That’s true, e.g. there is an app allowing to send the alarm clock to the server and @maniac103 and I have integrated that functionality into the official app.
But IMO having access to the server-side log files doesn’t seem handy to me. There’s the possibility to view the app log inside the app, but only because there no other practical (if you don’t have a rooted device or adb installed on your pc) way to get the log.

He means the log only for the app, not the log that’s on your server. It’s in the Settings at the very bottom.

3 Likes

Yes, not using the logo and only referring to openHAB using the term “for openHAB” is imho fine. The general rule of thumb is that its appearance must not give the impression that the app is provided by the openHAB community, if it is from a 3rd party.

But as @rpwong mentions, it is generally a good idea to think about how a new useful feature would fit into any existing openHAB component (such as the official app), so that the overall experience is improved and no fragmentation occurs.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you very much!

@rpwong already answered that question a few posts above yours.

1 Like