[SOLVED] Very frustrated with ZWave binding and OpenHAB UI

I thought the file was just a cached list of installed addons and Karaf was ultimately the proper way to uninstall one. Am I mistaken?

For those who insist on using all text based configs, /etc/openhab/services/addons.cfg is going to take precedence over everything else. If it’s listed in addons.cfg it will be installed. If you remove it using the console or the UI and fail to remove it from addons.cfg, it will be reinstalled. If it is not listed in addons.cfg, it will be uninstalled. If you add it through the console or the UI and fail to add it to addons.cfg, it will be uninstalled.

The cache file you may be thinking of is /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/addons.config.

1 Like

Sorry, I mixed up the two files. Thanks for the reminder.

In my case there is nothing in /etc/openhab/services/addons.cfg:

openhabian@openHABianDevice:/etc/openhab/services $ cat addons.cfg 
# The installation package of this openHAB instance
# Note: This is only regarded at the VERY FIRST START of openHAB
# Note: If you want to specify your add-ons yourself through entries below, set the package to "minimal"
# as otherwise your definition might be in conflict with what the installation package defines.
#
# Valid options:
#   - standard : Standard setup for normal use of openHAB
#   - minimal  : Installation of core components, but no UIs or other add-ons. Use this for special headless setups.
#   - demo     : A pre-configured demo setup which can be used for demonstration.
#
# See https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/packages.html for a detailed explanation of these packages.
#
package = standard

# Access Remote Add-on Repository
# Defines whether the remote openHAB add-on repository should be used for browsing and installing add-ons. (default is true)
#
#remote = true

# A comma-separated list of automation services to install (e.g. "automation = groovyscripting")
#automation = 

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "binding = knx,sonos,zwave")
#binding = 

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "misc = openhabcloud")
#misc = 

# A comma-separated list of persistence services to install (e.g. "persistence = jpa,rrd4j")
#persistence = 

# A comma-separated list of transformation services to install (e.g. "transformation = jsonpath,map")
#transformation = 

# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. "ui = basic,habpanel")
#ui = 

# A comma-separated list of voice services to install (e.g. "voice = googletts,marytts")
#voice = 

So @rlkoshak does that mean my 3.1.0 will be unsinstalled when I restart OH3?

The version of a binding installed is independent of addons.cfg. In short, what ever the current version of OH you are running is the version of the binding that will be installed, whether it’s installed through addons.cfg, the Karaf console, or the UI/REST API. The only way to get a version of a binding different from core is to download the jar file and put it in the addons folder.

1 Like

OK, here is the Zombie again… caught it there today. Not sure since when it was alive. It wasn’t bothering my Thermostats this time, maybe because 3.1.0 was active?

openhab> list -s | grep zwave
235 │ Active │  80 │ 3.1.0.202103070338      │ org.openhab.binding.zwave
253 │ Active │  80 │ 3.0.2                   │ org.openhab.binding.zwave
openhab> bundle:stop 253
235 │ Active   │  80 │ 3.1.0.202103070338      │ org.openhab.binding.zwave
253 │ Resolved │  80 │ 3.0.2                   │ org.openhab.binding.zwave
openhab> bundle:uninstall 253
235 │ Active │  80 │ 3.1.0.202103070338      │ org.openhab.binding.zwave
openhab>  

I wonder when it will raise from the grave again… ~:-(

It will, until it is removed from the controller. :frowning:

Right. But in theory shouldn’t it have been removed by the commands executed in the karaf console?

The zwave binding attempts to do that but I have not had good results from that.