[SOLVED] Weatherflow Smart Weather Station binding

This is what I get in log:

2018-10-04 19:59:10.327 [ERROR] [nhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather [286]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.automation

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1634) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1613) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1585) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1528) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230) [?:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340) [?:?]

I think this is caused by a new dependency. Iā€™ve started adding support for triggers on events like ā€œrain startedā€ and I think thatā€™s what this error is being caused by. To resolve it, you should be able to go into PaperUI -> Addons -> Misc, and install the ā€œExperimental Rules Engineā€. Once you do that, the dependency should be automatically resolved. If youā€™ve removed the weather flow binding, you might have to re-add it to the adding folder, but if not, it should start up automatically.

As for the triggers, thatā€™s still a work in progress so I wonā€™t say any more about it until itā€™s actually useful. Stay tuned for updates on that.

Bill

1 Like

Hello Bill! Whatā€™s your further plans with the binding? Are you going to make it official binding?

Hi,

I didnā€™t see your post until today.

I have a few more things to add: mostly surrounding rule triggers (on events like ā€œRain startedā€ or ā€œLightning Strikeā€).

It would be happy to contribute it so that it can become an official binding, though it probably makes sense to add everything on my list before that, as should it become accepted as a contribution, making changes would become much more difficult.

I am just testing everything out with the new 2.4 release of OpenHAB. If all goes well, I should have a new version ready to go in a few days.

Bill

1 Like

Iā€™ve been running it on 2.4 for almost a week and it seems fine apart from these messages Iā€™m getting in my log.

Firstly, my hub keeps being ā€œre-discoveredā€ every 10 seconds:

2019-01-02 08:39:58.333 [INFO ] [nternal.SmartWeatherDiscoveryService] - New SmartWeather Hub discovered with ID=<HB-00001121>.
2019-01-02 08:40:08.335 [INFO ] [nternal.SmartWeatherDiscoveryService] - New SmartWeather Hub discovered with ID=<HB-00001121>.
2019-01-02 08:40:18.335 [INFO ] [nternal.SmartWeatherDiscoveryService] - New SmartWeather Hub discovered with ID=<HB-00001121>.
2019-01-02 08:40:22.934 [INFO ] [.SmartWeatherStationDiscoveryService] - Already have thing with ID=<weatherflowsmartweather:air:HB-00001121:AR-00008797>
2019-01-02 08:40:28.334 [INFO ] [nternal.SmartWeatherDiscoveryService] - New SmartWeather Hub discovered with ID=<HB-00001121>.
2019-01-02 08:40:30.367 [INFO ] [.SmartWeatherStationDiscoveryService] - Already have thing with ID=<weatherflowsmartweather:sky:HB-00001121:SK-00011302>

The other is this message that happens a couple of times a day:

2018-12-29 09:27:05.615 [WARN ] [ore.internal.thing.ThingTypeResource] - Cannot find channel type: weatherflowsmartweather:local_day_rain_accumulation
2018-12-30 16:10:25.281 [WARN ] [ore.internal.thing.ThingTypeResource] - Cannot find channel type: weatherflowsmartweather:local_day_rain_accumulation
2018-12-31 10:23:45.274 [WARN ] [ore.internal.thing.ThingTypeResource] - Cannot find channel type: weatherflowsmartweather:local_day_rain_accumulation

I think the first set of messages should probably be switched to debug rather than info, now that things are working pretty smoothly.

I think I removed the accumulated rain channel because itā€™s not something that comes from the SmartWeather Hub, but rather is generated by SmartWeatherā€™s cloud service. Youā€™re likely seeing it because you installed the binding before I removed it, and OpenHAB doesnā€™t automatically track those changes. If you sort through your items, youā€™ll probably find and delete it.

Iā€™ll try to remember to re-assign the log level for that first set of messages.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill

Iā€™ve posted a new version of the Weatherflow Smart Weather binding built for OpenHAB 2.4.0 to the download site above. Iā€™ve been running it for about 2 weeks and it seems to be stable.

Features from previous release:

• Less verbose logging by default. Should keep your log files cleaner.
  • Includes 3 triggers for use with the new rules engine: Lightning Detected, Precipitation Started and Rapid Wind. Iā€™ve only really tested the Rapid Wind trigger, and depending on how your station is configured, this could mean a rule being triggered every 3 seconds.

If anyone is interested in having some samples of rules that use these new triggers, let me know and Iā€™ll throw some together that print out the data available.

This is basically the level of functionality that Iā€™d hoped to achieve when I started working on this binding. If anyone has any further feature requests, please let me know.

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Bill

1 Like

Hi Bill could you provide the way to configure binding in text .things file?

Hi,

Iā€™m actually not sure how to go about doing that; Iā€™ve only ever used PaperUI/HABmin to set things up.

I suspect that youā€™d need to create a Bridge thing that specified the hub binding and include the hub serial number as a configuration value. The actual air/sky sensors would be contained within the bridge entry. Based on what other people are doing with other bindings, something like:

Bridge weatherflowsmartweather:hub:YOUR_HUB_SERIAL "My SmartWeather Hub" [ serial_number="YOUR_HUB_SERIAL" ] {
      Thing weatherflowsmartweather:air:YOUR_HUB_SERIAL:YOUR_AIR_SERIAL "My Smartweather Air" [ serial_number="YOUR_AIR_SERIAL" ]
    }

Hopefully this will get you close to a working configuration.

1 Like

Last day to order the new Solar Power accessory for SKY at the 40% discount. Use code ā€˜SOLAR40OFFā€™ at checkout for discount (expires May 31st, 2019). https://shop.weatherflow.com/products/solar-power-accessory

Hi Bill! Any news regarding binding development?
Iā€™m on OH2.5M1 and have isuues with SKY and stability of the binding

hmm, thatā€™s strange.

I am running OH 2.4, but I get similar result for the firmware revision.

I wonder if a weather flow update has made some incompatible changes. Iā€™ll take a look this weekend.

1 Like

Iā€™ve checked it again and it looks not too bad. Issues seems to be with HUB only.

I was thinking if there are any new data that could be pulled from the station or from the cloud.

Iā€™m trying to setup an OH server at home. I get some troubles with this binding: when I startup OpenHab server it recognize Weatherflow Hub but just after a moment in log I get this

2019-06-25 18:41:00.646 [WARN ] [atherflowsmartweather.util.UdpServer] - Server closed unexpectedly: Bad address (Receive failed)
java.net.SocketException: Bad address (Receive failed)
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.peekData(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:743) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather.util.UdpServer.runServer(UdpServer.java:351) [248:org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather:2.4.0.201901080330]
        at org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather.util.UdpServer$1.run(UdpServer.java:219) [248:org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather:2.4.0.201901080330]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

Iā€™m on OH 2.4.0 Release Build

Thanks in Advance for Help.

Iā€™ve done some test and find out needed to switch off WiFi on my Udoo Board.

Hi, just wanted to confirm that youā€™ve resolved the problem you were having. Let me know if youā€™re still running into problems!

Bill

I took a look at the latest firmware documentation and there isnā€™t anything new available from the local API. Itā€™s unclear if the work thatā€™s been done in the past 6 months or so to make micro-calibration adjustments is happening through the cloud API or if itā€™s being folded into the results sent from the local broadcasts.

Hi all.
Thinking of new stationā€¦ old one is getting, well, old.

Can someone review this station? Value? Stability? OH stability? Accuracy?

Cheers!

Mine is very stable. Works well and is accurate. Great functionality and works with openhab on local network. There are some reviews on internet. My opinion is that this is currently best weather station for smart home.

1 Like

@zacofunny
Thanks, thatā€™s awesome.
Sadly, I just found out they arenā€™t shipping to my country yet (Australia)ā€¦
Cheers!