[SOLVED] Z Wave nano switch in France shows up unknown

I’m new to all this and I’ve just installed openhabian, an Aeon labs usb hub and my first 3 z wave devices: 6 way multi-sensor, nano dimmer and a nano switch. the multi sensor and the nano dimmer installed relatively painlessly. The switch is discovered, but shows up unknown:

Z-Wave Node 7 (0086:0003:0074:1.1) ONLINE
Unknown Device

I’m unable to do anything with it. After reading a few things on the site I’m assuming this is because it’s not int he db. However, having said that, when I go search for nano switch in the db, it appears in the list:


I also read somewhere that different countries may have different codes? I’m not sure where to go next to get this switch working. I’m relatively adept at programming and would be willing to do the work to add it, but I’ve no clue where to start.

I have also noticed a bug on the parameter settings of the nano dimmer. I am using a momentary push button to control it. However, in order to get it to work, I need to select 2-state switch mode. It looks to me like the drop-down is just assigning the wrong function to the associated code.

any help would be welcomed.

I’ve updated the database with your codes - they should flow into the snapshot build tomorrow.

Hi Chris,

Thanks! Do I need to wait for the build, or is there a way to do it myself while I wait?

Also, once you do build, does it just get pushed to standard updates? i.e. I’d just run the config updater to pick it up?

Last question, did you find a way to fix the problem with the dimmer switch mode setting?

I’m happy to help out if I can with development. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Thanks again.


Hi Again,

I was just looking through the entry in the online DB. I noticed that there is a reference to the Nano Dimmer in param 80, although this is a Nano Switch.

Also Off time parameter refers to On time parameter.

It’s easiest to wait for the build - other than compiling the binding yourself.

If you’re on the snapshot versions, then you just use PaperUI or HABmin to uninstall the binding, then reinstall it again.

I don’t know what this refers to?

I guess this is kind of cut and paste error from whoever added the device into the binding. If you want to make fixes to the database it would certainly be appreciated. You need to register on the site and email me so I can update your access.



I will register on the site and see if I can help out wherever possible.

Thanks for your response. in my first message I explained that there was a mismapping of the dimmers switch mode setting. This is on the Aeotec nano dimmer.

“I have also noticed a bug on the parameter settings of the nano dimmer. I am using a momentary push button to control it. However, in order to get it to work, I need to select 2-state switch mode. It looks to me like the drop-down is just assigning the wrong function to the associated code.”


Quite possibly. Again these are typed in by hand, so if someone makes a mistake, it will remain until someone corrects it :wink: .

OK, I’ll make the necessary changes if you haven’t done it already.

No - I’m not 100% sure what the issues are. I did change the type/id for the device, but that’s all…

I’ve also just updated your account so you can edit since I saw you just registered). Your activation email bounced (something about “rejected due to content restrictions” which seems quite strange).

OK, if you delete my attempt to register, I’ll try again with my g-mail account. That was my CERN email account, which is quite pedantic.

don’t mix up the dimmer and the switch. I had the problem with it not being recognised on the switch, but the switch function issue was on the dimmer.

Ok, I’ve deleted your account - I’ll keep an eye out for your registration…

so I’ve signed up now. Did you change something on the dimmer today, since the numbers in the dropdown seem not to map to what I see in the current release.

I’ve updated your access…

No - I’ve only updated the switch.

so, is the order that the options appear in the dropdown arbitrary ?

They don’t appear to show up in the order of the item ids

Hmmm - I’m not sure. I think they are meant to appear in the order that they go into the XML. I think I sort them on value (but it’s been 18 months since I looked at that, so I might be wrong).

If you have a concrete example of something that doesn’t look right, please let me know and I’ll take a look.

You can start with the z wave nano dimmer. loop at configuration paramaters 120 and 121. The order they appear in the drop down does not map to the ids. I will swap the items for push button switch and bi-state. Since That’s what I saw was incorrect today.

There’s probably not much I can do about this. If I look at what’s in the XML it looks in order -:

      <parameter name="config_121_1" type="integer" groupName="configuration">
        <label>121: Configure the external switch mode for S2</label>
        <description>Configure the external switch mode for S2</description>
          <option value="0">(Default) Unknown mode</option>
          <option value="1">2-state switch mode</option>
          <option value="2">3 way switch mode</option>
          <option value="3">Momentary push button mode</option>
          <option value="4">Enter automatic identification mode</option>

These options are handled exclusively in the framework and the UI (ie not the binding anyway).

@furryboffin my email response to yours bounced…

It looks like someone changed these parameters on 28th June - there’s a comment in the comments section just above yours…

I have reversed my change. I think they must have made the change after the original release on 28th. Although, I’m only guessing. I think if you go ahead and make a release, it should fix both issues. Let me know when it’s ready for testing.