[SOLVED] Z-Wave Number:Temperature Item Definition

Platform information

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
  • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu Embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf
  • openHAB version: 2.4.0 Release Build

Issue

I can’t figure out the appropriate item definition for a thing’s temperature channel.
Paper UI says:

Current temperature
zwave:device:d69f05d5:node2:sensor_temperature 
Number:Temperature

My Item definition is:

Number:Temperature Thermostat_LR_Temperature "Living Room [%.1f °C]" { channel="zwave:device:d69f05d5:node2:sensor_temperature" }

Instead of the living room’s temperature Paper UI displays: Living Room -NaN °C although the autogenerated Items displays as Current temperature 20.9 °C.
Where’s my mistake?

It’s all very like this thread

I think perhaps PaperUI control tab version of a “setpoint” isn’t too clever about handling either UoM or Items with options (set by zwave binding)

I honestly don’t know how this thread solves my issue. What should the configuration look like?
Let me clarify. Independently to what Paper UI says… My Basic UI displays the same (- °C).
My sitemap configuration is:

Text item=zwave_device_d69f05d5_node2_sensor_temperature label="Living Room [%.1f °C]"
Text item=Thermostat_LR_Temperature                      label="Living Room [%.1f °C]"

The first line with the autogenerated item displays correctly but the second one doesn’t so what am i doing wrong here?

I’m guessing you haven’t restarted openHAB (or the binding) since add/edit you items file.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your Item definition.

For info, you need not give the label in a sitemap entry unless you want to override the label in the Item definition.

If you have got into making your own Items files, you’re probably ready to switch off simple mode and its ‘helpful’ auto workings.

You should not specofy the °C in your formating. With UOM the correct units are derived from the System.

Just use:

Number:Temperature Thermostat_LR_Temperature "Living Room [%.1f %unit%]" ....

Crazy… sudo systemctl restart openhab2.service Solved the issue, thank you!

Didn’t know that I have to do so because most of the time I didn’t notice any problems without restarting.

Thanks for the tip ([%.1f %unit%]) works like a charm as well.

Sure, I think it is in dealing with the xxx.items legacy editing method that is sometimes a bit sloppy.

It’s not strictly true that you should not specify units.

Try this in your sitemap (all the same Item)

Text item=Thermostat_LR_Temperature label="item default [%.1f %unit%]"
Text item=Thermostat_LR_Temperature label="force F [%.1f °F]"
Text item=Thermostat_LR_Temperature label="force C [%.1f °C]"
Text item=Thermostat_LR_Temperature label="force K [%.1f K]"

I am having this same problem.
I feel like there is something very simple that I am missing.
Running on a raspberry pi 3.
Have tried rebooting and it still does not help.
It is like the .items don’t get linked to the zwave channel.

If you use text files that is part of the Item definition.For example,

Switch basement_light "Basement Light [%s]" <light> (basement) { channel="zwave:device:16ddbcdbd38:node12:switch_binary" }

Yes, I have the zwave channel information as part of the item definition. It just doesn’t seem to work. It should. That is why I am thinking there is something else that I missed.

Ken Williams
919-810-8063

Bruce_Osborne
November 2

ckw:

It is like the .items don’t get linked to the zwave channel.

If you use text files that is part of the Item definition.For example,

Switch basement_light "Basement Light [%s]" <light> (basement) { channel="zwave:device:16ddbcdbd38:node12:switch_binary" }

When you’re ready, show us your Item and channel definitions, screenshots if you have to.

Duh… I know it was something simple that I was overlooking. Used a capital “C” for channel in every instant. VS Code didn’t flag it as a problem, and I just overlooked it.

I’ll go put on my dunce hat now.

Thanks for the replies.

2 Likes