[SOLVED] Z Wave updating channel state for a manually added channel

OH2
openhab> bundle:list | grep -i zwave
219 x Active x 80 x 2.5.0.201905010419 x ZWave Binding

How to update the channel state for unknown zwave device type?

I tried to add an Item and to attach a channel to it, but it was unsuccessful :frowning:

Number zwave_device_a5ea2_node57_sensor_temperature "Temperature" <temperature> { channel="zwave:device:a5ea2:node57:sensor_temperature" }
20:14:21.743 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - lastTransaction null
20:14:21.744 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 57: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
20:14:21.744 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 57: resetResendCount initComplete=true isDead=false
20:14:21.745 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 57: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL, endpoint 0
20:14:21.745 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 57: SECURITY not supported
20:14:21.746 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 57: Received COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL V7 SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_REPORT
20:14:21.746 [DEBUG] [ass.ZWaveMultiLevelSensorCommandClass] - NODE 57: Sensor Type = Temperature(1), Scale = 0
20:14:21.747 [DEBUG] [ass.ZWaveMultiLevelSensorCommandClass] - NODE 57: Sensor Value = 9.4
20:14:21.747 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 57: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveMultiLevelSensorValueEvent
20:14:21.747 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 57: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL, value=9.4
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 57: Commands processed 1.
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 57: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@b653b8.
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - ZWaveReceiveThread queue empty
20:14:21.748 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction SendNextMessage 0 out at start. Holdoff false.

network_a7217c69__node_57.xml (9.7 KB)

Since it is unknown, there is no Thing definition. Without a Thing definition, there are no Channels to link Items to. Your device needs to be in the device database (which is exported and included in the binding) for it to be identified. If it is a battery powered device, then you may need to manually wake it up several times for it to be identified.

What is your device and is it in the device database?

It’s one of these Zuno’s … looks like the xml was attached through an edit :grinning:
There were no users yet who were able to configure the database for them.
In this case the firmware version 2.14 is not supported in the database:

There were already several discussions about these devices, but I don’t think the issues are solved:

Here is an attempt to use some of the available channels, but the database was never updated:

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a device on Z-Uno project, I’m trying to measure a distance with it.

Even if Z-Uno offer possibility to have channel type for distance ZUNO_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_DISTANCE ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS, I discovered that OH2 don’t support channel type distance OpenHAB-2 Channel Types. For this reason I used channel type temperature just for testing. Will this type of channel be supported in the future by OH2? There are any other Z-wave device that could measure distance?

I’m not sure about channel type support, but at the moment, the only way to get the Z-Uno to work is to:

1. Create the database XML yourself
  2. Get the source code for the Z-Wave binding
  3. Add the database XML to source
  4. Build the source
  5. Install the custom binding

The link @sihui posted to my thread is how I got it working.

1 Like

I didn’t add my XML to the database because every use case of the Z-Uno is different. There is talk of adding support for dynamic channels in the future, but that’s probably a way off.

1 Like

There’s no need to setup an IDE and build from source to update the XML…

3 Likes

It works like a charm. Many thanks! @sihui @RJG2 @5iver

What type of channel would you recommend to use for distance as an temp workaround?
I created Z-Uno HC-SR04 in Device database - www.cd-jackson.com but I used sensor_temperature what I think is not so suitable.

Yeah, unfortunately temperature is probably your best bet, anything that’s a number will probably work.

You have me curious now though! What’s your use case for measuring distance for home automation?!

I need to know the level of a dirty-water basin instead of visual inspection, this will make my life much better, I will avoid smelling that dirty water basin :slight_smile:

Good solution!