Sonoff control without flashing TasmotA

I’ve got a few Sonoff devices knocking about, but am awful at soldering.
In looking for an easy alternative, I found this:

And also this

Has anyone seen something similar done in OH?
Seems relatively easy as an alternative to flashing - and would really make extensions to existing Home setups quick cheap and easy for people who are more code comfy than solder comfy?

Those are both written in Python which is a very different language than the Java used in openHAB…

Feel free to try making a binding or offering a bounty for such a binding.

There was a Sonoff Binding started at some point. I don’t know what happened to it but a search of the forum should be informative.

Use pogo pins. Then all you need is a moderately steady hand or a helping hands. I’m going to have to do this tonight actually because I broke the cardinal rule and tried to fix what wasn’t broke (i.e. tried to update the firmware and now two out of three won’t come back online).

The second Python script could be called from the Exec binding or executeCommandLine or perhaps converted to Jython Rules.

Me too!
I flashed mine by just holding the male pins (not pogo pins) onto the contacts. Didn’t work on every try but faster then soldering!
I did post a picture in the old Thread

I stupidly bought a bunch of s26es - pin positions on these suck- so I have to solder for those(at least gnd & bcc anyway) . The basics I bought before worked with the old hold and hope trick :slight_smile:

@rlkoshak - if I have time to play, I’ll try get this working via exec and post a how to. Of course, since I’m running OH in Docker… it’s bound to be a little more fun than usual - hoping to find time for one approach or the other. In the mean time, Ib am having to bypass OH and use the ghastly EWeLink cloud so Alexa can manage my Christmas lights

I wrote the exec plug-in on my GitHub - rkoshak/sensorReporter: A python based service that receives sensor inputs and publishes them in various ways. for just such a purpose. I don’t like modifying the official Docker containers so I just publish an MQTT message to sensorReporter which publishes the result of the command back. If that Python script runs as a command line program (i.e. it’s self contained) you don’t even need to write anything. Just configure it and you are good to go. :slight_smile:

At the internet I found a really nice solution for in circuit programming, and that’s a probe adapter.

Of course you have to have a 3D printer or excellent expertise in handcrafting shapes from wood or something similar :wink:

For my Sonoff T1 modules, I used a simple 4 pin header and bent it a little bit, so the contacts were not aligned any more. This way they tend to stuck in the soldering holes without any other tool.

1 Like