Sony Binding [3.2.0;3.9.0)

Just to 100% sure I manually installed the binding. Removed it from the console. Shut down openhab. Deleted the jar file. Deleted all traces of Sony configurations. Checked addons.config so it wasn’t listed there. Rebooted.
Still - no luck installing it from the marketplace. It says it installs it, but it goes way to fast. Just in the blink of an eye. This is what my system looks like.

runtimeInfo:
  version: 3.2.0
  buildString: "Build #2546"
locale: en-SE
systemInfo:
  configFolder: /etc/openhab
  userdataFolder: /var/lib/openhab
  logFolder: /var/log/openhab
  javaVersion: 11.0.12
  javaVendor: Raspbian
  osName: Linux
  osVersion: 5.10.63-v7l+
  osArchitecture: arm
  availableProcessors: 4
  freeMemory: 39002104
  totalMemory: 242221056
bindings:
  - astro
  - bmwconnecteddrive
  - deconz
  - harmonyhub
  - http
  - hue
  - ipcamera
  - mihome
  - miio
  - mqtt
  - networkupstools
  - samsungtv
  - shelly
  - smhi
  - sonyaudio
  - systeminfo
  - tellstick
  - tibber
  - unifi
  - upnpcontrol
  - verisure
  - zwave

Tellstick is just there for the Netty requirements btw.

Suggest that you try to install another binding from the community marketplace just to check whether your issue might be installation or version specific (e.g. the KNX binding that also comes as kar source).

Also, the latest OH version I used for testing was 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT - Build #2535

Good idea.
Tested the KNX “JVersion” and it installed without any issues.

Was worth a try :wink:

I will run a further test with the latest SNAPSHOT version to check for any issues.

I’ve also seen that you have installed the SonyAudio binding. I would assume that the Sony binding supports a superset of the services that are provided by the SonyAudio binding and thus would make the latter obsolete. At least I know from the history of the Sony binding that the original author has collaborated with the author of the SonyAudio binding to adopt at least some of its features. So is there any specifc reason for you to install both bindings in parallel (just for my curiosity)?

I have only one Sony device, a str-dn1080.
I’ve been switching back and forth between the two bindings over the years (used to have a sony tv).
There’s always been some issues with either one of the bindings, depending on what build I’ve been running.
The only channel I really need is the volume channel. I am watching the power state with a “smart plug” and sending on/off commands via the Harmony binding. The reason for it is that the receiver always (sooner or later) falls into some deep sleep and refuses to wake up on anything but IR commands. I believe it’s a bug is the EU version of the firmware (EU has some requirements on power consumption in standby mode). And since Sony opted out of the receiver market, I do not see this will ever be sorted.
I really hope this receiver last (the first one died after 2 years) since there isn’t many affordable alternatives left. (Seems like most people are satisfied with a soundbar these days…)

I’ve successfully tested the marketplace install with the same 3.2 SNAPHSOT build. So it doesn’t look like a general issue. But it is strange that you don’t see any error logs.

I’ve built a slightly changed version that fixes an issue with a missing dependency on the transformation map service (used for IRCC). Thus I’d suggest that you re-try the marketplace installation with that updated version (after deletion of the current binding from the addons jar).

In course of the testing I’ve found an issue with the 3.2.0.M3 runtime (for details see here). I hope I can fix this issue shortly.

Re your Sony recevier: According to the discussion in Remotely powering up an EU model STR-DN1080? | Sony’s Developer World forum it seems possible to wake up the receiver from a deep standby using a special procedure (multiple WOLs plus sending power on command). Are you aware of this potential option and if yes have you ever tried this?

Hi,
Still no luck for me using the marketplace
Uninstalled the other Sony binding. Cleared the cahce and rebooted twice.

I am probably some special “edge case” here, since it seems to work for others.
Increased the log levels, to TRACE and DEBUG, and indeed there are some entries about the installation. The logs fill out pretty quickly though, since all the running binding and scripts starts to message like crazy. :wink: I cannot really tell what the information from the install sequence actually means though. And I won’t pollute the forum with extremely long longs.

I am fine with doing a manual install, and I do not want to waste anymore of your time - since it seems like I am the only one with this problem at the moment.

We’re likely going to find out if this issues applies to anyone else, since it is documented in this thread.

Also, thanks for the link regarding the sleep/standby issue. I will look into that.

I also have the issue installing the Sony Binding through the marketplace. It says it’s installed, but does not show up, also not in KARAF bundle:list. It does work with the WLED beta binding, so I think my system should be ok. I did try and clear everything I can from the ‘old’ manual install.

Anything I could try?

Unfortunately I have no good ideas what you could try.

For further analysis of the issue, it would be helpful if you could provide the following

• Log messages produced during the time of the installation attempt
  • Your OH runtime version (including build number)
  • Output of console command bundle:list | grep Map

Also you could try to manually install the provided kar file by copying it into the addons folder.

So I tried putting the kar file and restarting OH (I’m on 3.2.0 M4)

The bundles popped up upon startup (still Resolved not Active)

435 │ Resolved │  80 │ 3.2.0.202111060539    │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: WLed Binding
443 │ Resolved │  80 │ 3.2.0.202111081927    │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Sony Binding
444 │ Resolved │  80 │ 3.2.0.202111070339    │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Transformation Service :: Map
openhab>

but after a while, they were just gone again.

I could not find anything in the log that told me why.

435 │ Active │  80 │ 3.2.0.202111060539    │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: WLed Binding
openhab>

Hi i am on 3.2.4 M4 and i have configured my TV Scalar Thing in a .things file. I am wondering if it is normal that i have to uninstall and install the binding (with turned on tv) after every restart of openhab?

After restarting OH my TV Thing is just missing so i have to reinstall the binding. Maybe restarting the bundle also works, but i haven’t tried. Reinstalling might also be the reason the TV has to be on while initializing if the cache of the TV capabilites is cleaned when uninstalling.

I wouldn’t say that it’s normal but I‘m facing the same issue.

I realised that the binding doesn’t show up in the binding list when I’m trying to create a new thing. After uninstalling and reinstalling everything was back to normal.

1 Like

@andirs @DrRSatzteil

Does the observed behaviour only happen when the binding is installed via the marketplace?
Have you disabled discovery for the scalar service (discovery.sony-scalar:background=false)?

Indeed i had disabled discovery for the scalar service. But i removed that restarted and the binding/thing still does not show up. I can not really tell you if it is only because of the marketplace. I came from OH2 (where i did not have that problem) and only tested the marketplace now on OH3. I think we can’t compare that. Maybe @DrRSatzteil used both install methods on OH3?

Thank you for this information.

I’ve just upgraded my system to OH 3.2.M4 and are now hitting the same issue. So I should be able to do some further analysis on my side. I will provide an update as soon as available.

1 Like

Just for completeness: I installed from the marketplace and did not disable auto discovery.

Hi everyone, my TV is Sony 55X8500E. I wonder if with only some simple operations (like changing input, volume, power on/off, switch channel) then which method should I choose between Scalar and Simple IP? Which is fast, stable, and more power-saving?

Although I have no experience with the SimpleIP protocol, I would assume that it is more suited for the simple use cases you mentioned.

However, if you want to keep options open for more advanced use cases (e.g. controlling apps, creating favorite channels list etc) I would go for the Scalar protocol. This should also be stable and fast enough.

1 Like

Hi is it normal that certain Thing channels do not get updated when i change them on the TV?

For example my two item channels here are always “NULL” (unless i update them from openhab of course)

sony:scalar:mysonytv:avContent#tm_source-main
sony:scalar:mysonytv:avContent#ps_channel-dvbt

while others are updated (like audio mute etc.) Thanks :slight_smile:

This is not the expected/normal behaviour. I’ve just tested this with a simple label cell which references an item linked to tm_source-main channel and this works fine for me (cell label is updated on refresh when input source is changed from the TV’s remote control).

For which other channels are you observing the issue? I’m asking because the stated channels use dynamically generated state options, which might attribute to the cause of the problem.