Sony Binding [3.2.0;3.9.0)

Hi i am on 3.2.4 M4 and i have configured my TV Scalar Thing in a .things file. I am wondering if it is normal that i have to uninstall and install the binding (with turned on tv) after every restart of openhab?

After restarting OH my TV Thing is just missing so i have to reinstall the binding. Maybe restarting the bundle also works, but i haven’t tried. Reinstalling might also be the reason the TV has to be on while initializing if the cache of the TV capabilites is cleaned when uninstalling.

I wouldn’t say that it’s normal but I‘m facing the same issue.

I realised that the binding doesn’t show up in the binding list when I’m trying to create a new thing. After uninstalling and reinstalling everything was back to normal.

1 Like

@andirs @DrRSatzteil

Does the observed behaviour only happen when the binding is installed via the marketplace?
Have you disabled discovery for the scalar service (discovery.sony-scalar:background=false)?

Indeed i had disabled discovery for the scalar service. But i removed that restarted and the binding/thing still does not show up. I can not really tell you if it is only because of the marketplace. I came from OH2 (where i did not have that problem) and only tested the marketplace now on OH3. I think we can’t compare that. Maybe @DrRSatzteil used both install methods on OH3?

Thank you for this information.

I’ve just upgraded my system to OH 3.2.M4 and are now hitting the same issue. So I should be able to do some further analysis on my side. I will provide an update as soon as available.

1 Like

Just for completeness: I installed from the marketplace and did not disable auto discovery.

Hi everyone, my TV is Sony 55X8500E. I wonder if with only some simple operations (like changing input, volume, power on/off, switch channel) then which method should I choose between Scalar and Simple IP? Which is fast, stable, and more power-saving?

Although I have no experience with the SimpleIP protocol, I would assume that it is more suited for the simple use cases you mentioned.

However, if you want to keep options open for more advanced use cases (e.g. controlling apps, creating favorite channels list etc) I would go for the Scalar protocol. This should also be stable and fast enough.

1 Like

Hi is it normal that certain Thing channels do not get updated when i change them on the TV?

For example my two item channels here are always “NULL” (unless i update them from openhab of course)

sony:scalar:mysonytv:avContent#tm_source-main
sony:scalar:mysonytv:avContent#ps_channel-dvbt

while others are updated (like audio mute etc.) Thanks :slight_smile:

This is not the expected/normal behaviour. I’ve just tested this with a simple label cell which references an item linked to tm_source-main channel and this works fine for me (cell label is updated on refresh when input source is changed from the TV’s remote control).

For which other channels are you observing the issue? I’m asking because the stated channels use dynamically generated state options, which might attribute to the cause of the problem.

Difficult to say, because besides that i only use these presumably static channels

sony:scalar:mysonytv:system#powerstatus
sony:scalar:mysonytv:audio#volume-speaker
sony:scalar:mysonytv:audio#mute-speaker
sony:scalar:mysonytv:system#powersavingmode

I’ll create some other channels for testing and report back. Something else i can provide to find the cause?

Hi, after a reboot the things shows UNITIALIZED for both Simple IP and Scalar. Running 3.2.0 Release build and installed from marketplace. Removing the binding and reinstalling brings it back to life. Using the Sony binding since 3.2 M5, had same issue there.

Any suggestions how I can fix this?

This has already been discussed a couple of posts above. Afaik there no fix for this problem yet.

Thanks, sorry must have missed that.

@DrRSatzteil @mario1967

I opened an issue a few weeks ago ( [marketplace] Failed reinstalling add-on from cache on restart · Issue #2614 · openhab/openhab-core (github.com)) and until now have assumed that it had been fixed as it didn’t re-occur for me.

Strangely enough, in a today’s test I did see this issue again but without any log info, so I guess there is something else not working properly which I 'm now going to investigate.

You could try to re-install the binding from the local cache as follows (note that the path depends on your environment)

kar:install file:/var/lib/openhab/marketplace/kar/128262/org.openhab.binding.sony-3.2.0.kar

If you use the release build, this should not occur.

I’m using the release build and I think I can confirm that the mentioned Github issue has been fixed.

The current issue shows a different behaviour: The binding appears as ‘Resolved’ for a short time in the bundle list and then disappears without any log info. But it can be manually installed from the marketplace cache without problems. So I assume that something goes wrong with the binding installation on startup. Any hint for further investigation would be helpful.

1 Like

I’m also using the release build but haven’t noticed that the behaviour is different now. I just thought nothing had changed since I still see the thing in UNINITIALIZED state on startup. Please let me know if I can assist by sending log files or anything.

Just looked through the list of channels and can’t identify a further one that is dynamically generated.
Do you have one in mind that i can test? And is there something else i can provide while i am at it?

I’ve created a new topic Problem with binding from marketplace being installed and subsequently uninstalled on OH start-up for this issue as my current analysis of the log files have been unsuccessful. At least I would have expected to see a warning or error message in the log files, which I haven’t.

So for now the only option I see is to await a helpful response unless you have made other or complementing observations than I’ve stated in the issue topic.