Spirit Eurotronic Z-Wave Plus Configuration

@Flynxify
it was always my assumption it works this way. No rule required. Just pass the value of the temp. this way Laurens suggested. It’s working.
Dimming is clear now. My mistake in interpretation.

Is it really? That’s not my understanding of multi channel binding at all - I thought you’d need something like a follow-profile for this: https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/items.html

follow-profile does not match to me. Cou can not follow the temperature. It depends on conditions. You can follow the light or something you can execute and control, not sth. you depend on :wink:

I guess I’ll have to tinker around with this at home. Question is, there seems to be a primary source for your temperature and a secondary slave that temperature-value gets written to. What’s the correct order to write them in? Can you pass over the temperature-value to multiple recipients?

This seems like a really powerful tool, why is there so little documentation for it?

If you are referring to the thermostat that is a Eurotronic question.
If you are referring to how openHAB can use the thermostat we rely on the same documentation from the manufacturer.

This was more in regards to linking up item-states by appending another channel on an item. I googled around some and found threads like these (Example for item with profile) which sum this behaviour up quite well; I am still not perfectly knowledgeable about this though

Yes. Why not? It is the same source, only different executors.

I think I’m just not knowledgeable enough about this and will just have to trial and error it. Thanks for the effort though.

I guess @Flynxify is referring to this item definition example with two channels separated by comma in channel config. This is something new also to me and I also can not find this in the documentation.

As far as I know, you can define multiple channels in one item, each starting with channel=“xxxx”. You can also pass values from one channel to another using profiles. Everything is documented here. But there is nothing about putting two channel IDs into one channel config.

Can somebody confirm such configuration is working properly?

That is a new concept to me too. I do not recall seeing it anywhere in the official documentation.

And here I thought I was going insane.

Apparently you can achieve something like that with profiles, more specifically “follow” as explained in this thread: Example for item with profile - I doubt the aformentioned workaround without a profile would work at all but we have two people in this thread that confirm it does so shrug

Yes it does, it feed the temperature channel (report value) of the Spirit. It can be any device.

That’s a good point. According to the docs the spirit channel should get the follow profile.
Like this:

Number		Bathroom_Radiator_SensorReport		"Badkamer externe temperatuur [%.1f °C]"			{ channel="zwave:device:512:nodeXX:sensor_temperature", channel="zwave:device:512:nodeYY:sensor_report" [profile=follow]  }

But somehow, it works also without the profile.

That’s exactly my point, sorry for being kind of obtuse before.

Maybe OH just kind of assumes a “follow” if you have multiple channels per item?

Discussion is being more interesting. I was aware about follow profile. Seems both method could be working well…

I mean: did somebody make tests and proved that?

Hi Jacek,
“LCD alwyas on” (parameter 2) and “Backlight” (parameter 3) are two distinct functions. Parameter 2 controls the display behaviour itself. “Always on” displays the information without blanking the screen after a period of time if set to 0. If set to a value between 1 and 30 it determines the time after which the display will be blanked out. I’ve checked that now and it works as described in the manual.
Parameter 3 controls the behaviour of the backlight, independent from parameter 2. The backlight cannot be set to be on continously. I guess battery consumption is so high that the vendor didn’t see a situation like that as a viable use case. If set to “enabled” the backlight reacts to buttons pressed on the valve but switches off after 2 or 3 seconds. And if set to “disabled” it will not light up at all. Checked that as well, thanks to the “Flirs” functionality the changes take effect immediately.

Hi Christian, the Spirit CAN be controlled directly by setting the “dimmer” with a specific value in percent, representing the valve opening, according to the users manual. Before you do that, you need to set the “thermostat mode” to 0x1F (=Manufacturer Specific) though.
I did not test that, in my view that is a rather exotic use case. Defining setpoint temperatures and letting the valve do the math is so much more comfortable.

Very interesting discussion here about that “follow”-feature. Learnt something new :wink:

@stefan.oh
now it is cristal clear. Since dimming I always connected to the light was instinctly thinking about this functionality and expecting it.
Thank you Stefan for your valuable input and solving my problem.

thanks to the “Flirs” functionality the changes take effect immediately

can you explain what “Flirs” is? Did not get the message.
Jacek

Very interesting discussion here about that “follow”-feature. Learnt something new :wink:

Indeed. The follow sounds more proffessional I and will get a try this as well.
Thank you guys for your support!