Spirit Eurotronic Z-Wave Plus Configuration

That is a new concept to me too. I do not recall seeing it anywhere in the official documentation.

And here I thought I was going insane.

Apparently you can achieve something like that with profiles, more specifically “follow” as explained in this thread: Example for item with profile - I doubt the aformentioned workaround without a profile would work at all but we have two people in this thread that confirm it does so shrug

Yes it does, it feed the temperature channel (report value) of the Spirit. It can be any device.

That’s a good point. According to the docs the spirit channel should get the follow profile.
Like this:

Number		Bathroom_Radiator_SensorReport		"Badkamer externe temperatuur [%.1f °C]"			{ channel="zwave:device:512:nodeXX:sensor_temperature", channel="zwave:device:512:nodeYY:sensor_report" [profile=follow]  }

But somehow, it works also without the profile.

That’s exactly my point, sorry for being kind of obtuse before.

Maybe OH just kind of assumes a “follow” if you have multiple channels per item?

Discussion is being more interesting. I was aware about follow profile. Seems both method could be working well

I mean: did somebody make tests and proved that?

Hi Jacek,
“LCD alwyas on” (parameter 2) and “Backlight” (parameter 3) are two distinct functions. Parameter 2 controls the display behaviour itself. “Always on” displays the information without blanking the screen after a period of time if set to 0. If set to a value between 1 and 30 it determines the time after which the display will be blanked out. I’ve checked that now and it works as described in the manual.
Parameter 3 controls the behaviour of the backlight, independent from parameter 2. The backlight cannot be set to be on continously. I guess battery consumption is so high that the vendor didn’t see a situation like that as a viable use case. If set to “enabled” the backlight reacts to buttons pressed on the valve but switches off after 2 or 3 seconds. And if set to “disabled” it will not light up at all. Checked that as well, thanks to the “Flirs” functionality the changes take effect immediately.

Hi Christian, the Spirit CAN be controlled directly by setting the “dimmer” with a specific value in percent, representing the valve opening, according to the users manual. Before you do that, you need to set the “thermostat mode” to 0x1F (=Manufacturer Specific) though.
I did not test that, in my view that is a rather exotic use case. Defining setpoint temperatures and letting the valve do the math is so much more comfortable.

Very interesting discussion here about that “follow”-feature. Learnt something new :wink:

@stefan.oh
now it is cristal clear. Since dimming I always connected to the light was instinctly thinking about this functionality and expecting it.
Thank you Stefan for your valuable input and solving my problem.

thanks to the “Flirs” functionality the changes take effect immediately

can you explain what “Flirs” is? Did not get the message.
Jacek

Very interesting discussion here about that “follow”-feature. Learnt something new :wink:

Indeed. The follow sounds more proffessional I and will get a try this as well.
Thank you guys for your support!

https://www.silabs.com/documents/login/white-papers/Z-Wave-FLiRS.pdf

1 Like

:+1:
Understood.

Hi Stefan,
Yes, I heard about this newly added channel.
I assume this makes sense just for e.g. floor heating systems, especially where reaction on adjustments taking a lot of time.

Well, floor heating systems don’t have a thermostat like the Spirit (at least not in the Netherlands). Controlling the valve based on room temperature takes a lot of calculations. This is done with a PID controller in the device. Based on the setpoint, (room)temperature (internal or external) and time, it calculates the best opening of the valve, even if you have a slow (read low temperature) heating system.
So I discourage to open/close the valve directly :wink:

I’m much too late for that explanation, druciak beat me :+1:

Hello,
it is me again. Recently I bought FIBARO Radiator Thermostat (FGT-001). This device works a little bit differently. I do not see any external temp. channel like in the Spirit. Does someone know if I can follow the external temp. sensor anyway?
/J

I think I found the answer to my question. Reading configuration parameters i see:
It means I can not change the values to use external sensor. This is logical since I bought version without external sensor from FIBARO. If if would bought that one I could probably be able to influence this parameter.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

The optional fibaro sensor is bluetooth. You can add a single external fibaro sensor to upto 3 of their z-wave valves. So this is less flexible than the spirit or the AEON.

You will want the latest firmware on the Fibaro to make them work.

Fibaro released one recently but it still might have issues. The biggest issue is that you can not update the firmware without one of their controllers just now.

Thanks for explanation. @robmac
Correct I can not update FIBARO just like that. I do not know even somehow who could do this for me without sending thermostat back to Fibaro. This is for sure a weak point of this product. SPIRIT is doing the job very well. On FIBARO there is a discrepancy between feeling temp. in the room and showing one in the FIB-Thermostat :frowning: