Stable repository broken, migrated or abandoned?

Hi boys and girls,

I’ve had stability issues for a couple of months now, so I decided to do a fresh install of my raspi with openhab. The main issue was my graphs not being updated with (MQTT) sensor data any longer. It would run stable for about 4 hours and then lock up.

The graphing and MQTTT are the main reason to use it at all. A small part of it is homekit integration, but since IKEA has done some development their app is actually usable with homekit now.

As I had previously configured all my stuff with text files for more control, I backed these up.

I flashed an SD card with a fresh installation of Raspbian Buster Lite
Version: July 2019
Release date: 2019-07-10.

I then imported the public key, added the openhab stable repo,installed openhab2, zulu-embedded-8 (as zulu-8 is not available for install?). It seems to work, but after adding my hue bridge and lightbulbs, none show up in the “control” panel in paperUI. I remember all items added showing up there, regardless of sitemap config.

I’m wondering if there’s some issues in the build, or if it’s my old config files (deleting them did not solve my issue). I’m also having some trouble getting the new MQTT binding to function properly (event bus is gone?), but since basic functionality of OH stable is currently lacking, I’ll first have to hurdle that obstacle.

Since the snapshot and testing repo’s have been migrated, I thought the stable repo might be migrated as well? Or is it not being used at all? there’s some unclear info currently in the documentation, and for a stable build it’s not really usable currently…

Only Items that are Linked to Things will show up in the control tab in PaperUI. Were your Things created or loaded from config properly? Where your .items files loaded properly? Do you see any errors in your logs at file load time?

Yes, but there is a simple way to recreate the capability. See MQTT 2.5 Event Bus.

But you will need to use OH 2.5 M1 or later. In terms of stability, the only real difference between a release version (e.g OH 2.4) and a milestone version of OH (e.g. OH 2.5 M3) is how long it’s been since that version of OH has received any updates. OH 2.4 is approaching 10 months now without any update. OH 2.5 M3 has bug fixes and new features up to a few weeks ago.

You never actually say what you specific issue is. But your MQTT 1.x configs won’t work with MQTT 2.x. So if you are not changing your configs, you need to install the MQTT 1.x binding. You may need to enable “show legacy 1.x bindings” in PaperUI for it to appear under addons where you can install it.

I don’t think the stable repo has been migrated anywhere but the signing certificate changed recently if you are seeing certificate errors when you try to install.

It’s absolutely being used, but there hasn’t been a release of OH since early January/late December.

Why? Why don’t you use the openHABian image ?
You can select any repo from there and don’t have to bother.

What is unclear, und how do you come to claim it’s not usable ?

I just tried to install the latest snapshot on openhabian, and it rendered all web pages inaccessible.

I decided to try to migrate to a Pi 4 with the latest openhabian release and failed.

On the screen I get a:

script /boot/first-boot.bash’ failed.
Failed to start rc-local.service

and if I try to ssh in and re-run /boot/first-boot.bash I these results:

/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

2019-09-29_21:20:59_BST [openHABian] Starting the openHABian initial setup.
2019-09-29_21:20:59_BST [openHABian] Storing configuration… OK
2019-09-29_21:20:59_BST [openHABian] Starting webserver with installation log… bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/tmp/webif’: File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/tmp/webif/first-boot.txt’: File exists
OK
2019-09-29_21:21:04_BST [openHABian] Changing default username and password… SKIPPED
2019-09-29_21:21:04_BST [openHABian] Setting up Ethernet connection… OK
2019-09-29_21:21:04_BST [openHABian] Ensuring network connectivity… OK
2019-09-29_21:21:04_BST [openHABian] Waiting for dpkg/apt to get ready… OK
2019-09-29_21:21:18_BST [openHABian] Updating repositories and upgrading installed packages… FAILED
2019-09-29_21:22:24_BST [openHABian] Initial setup exiting with an error!

I feel like I spend most of my time trying to get the system to work, and little time building my automations.