Start script for OH2

(Kai Kreuzer) #10

Here it is:
Try it out and let me know if there are any issues with it!

(Kai Kreuzer) #11

Update: It seems that this functionality does not work on the Raspberry Pi, see :frowning:

(Kai Kreuzer) #12

@danielwalters86 Maybe you could add some information about a solution on the RaspPi to

(Daniel Walters) #13

I’ve been using my Win10 PC to test the new OH, I’ll try it on the RPi tonight hopefully and update the wiki if the above approach works.

(Kai Kreuzer) #14

ok, thanks. Would be nice if you could also try the Karaf-based auto-start scripts on Win10, so that we know that at least that works!

(Daniel Walters) #15

I did not have good luck with the auto start service, nor my Raspberry Pi today.

I loaded a fresh OH2 beta download on the Pi, copied my config over (from my existing OH2 alpha install) and the runtime works (generally - I get a few errors in the logs) but when I interact with the items through the widgets, I can see the commands firing but the physical object does not react i.e. lights don’t turn on/off, heating won’t go on/off.

When I go back to my last OH2 alpha nightly everything works again (using same config) so I need to try and figure out what’s going wrong with this new setup.

I tried to install the service on Win10 and I couldn’t not get the “openHAB-service.bat” to run with the install argument. Received the following message:

C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\openhab-online-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT\runtime\karaf\bin>openHAB-service.bat install
wrapper  | Unable to set working directory to: /C:/Users/Daniel/Downloads/openhab-online-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/userdata/ (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x7b))
Unable to get the current logfile size with stat: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x7b)

(Dakkar) #16

starting openhab2 via systemd works fine. so, in fact, there is no need for the karaf service wrapper, obsoleting

I simply used @danielwalters86 unit file and everthing is fine. q clean solution for all systemd enabled systems.
Stopping works fine, too.

I used the dirty way and placed the unit file in /etc/systemd/system … packages (and their maintainer :smiley: ) should not use this location, but the result will be the same.

(Daniel Walters) #17

Maybe there is a way to get karaf to produce and enable the above file?

@Kai if you’re happy with this I’ll send the PR over.

(Kai Kreuzer) #18

Sure, please create a PR - thanks!

OH1 Config not loading
(Gary) #19

@danielwalters86 I had the same problem but I noticed the path looked wrong. Keep in mind I don’t really know what I’m doing…

1. I removed the extra “/” in from of the path in openHAB-wrapper.conf under wrapper properties where it defines a few paths.

2. Then I had to allow write permissions on the karaf directory again.

• Run the install with administrator privileges.

It now looks like it installed correctly but when I run "net start “openHAB” I receive an error:
“The service is not responding to the control function”

(Super Ook) #20

@danielwalters86: I tried your systemd script following your instruction (you also PRed, however, on my Raspi 2 with Raspbian Jessie the command
sudo systemctl enable openhab2
always returns
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
assuming I’ve put my unit into a file openhab2.

As @jtmoderate876 suggested, I had to put the file not anywhere on the disk but exactly in /lib/systemd/system/ and had to suffix it with .service.

(Daniel Walters) #21

I’ve updated the post and am in the process of updating the PR to reflect that the script needs to be in the /lib/systemd/system folder.

@SuperOok could you look over the PR again and see if you feel it’s accurate now?

(Super Ook) #22

looks good, thanks

(christianjwaite) #23

I need to run openhab:install-service in an install script for a docker. At the minute you have to “docker exec blah blah blah bash” in, run /opt/openhab/, install-service, logout etc… and then everything will work, but I’d like it to do this in the install script.

Any ideas how to run that command without user input?

(stivbert) #24

Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo systemctl start openhab.service
Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo systemctl enable openhab
Operation failed: Invalid argument
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo systemctl enable openhab.service

The systemctl enable seams to work, no error. But the start and status gives this error " Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager"

What to do ?

(Branden Smale) #25

sudo systemctl start (stop)(restart) openhab

no (.service)

(stivbert) #26

Yes same error msg

(Branden Smale) #27

unfortunately i have no other answer, beyond my knowledge, sorry.

(Hans-Jörg Merk) #28

On my installation, I had to use the right spelling:
Systemctl enable (path to file)**openHAB.**service
And then I can do a systemctl start openHAB.

(AndroidDeveloperJoe) #29

I’m running OH2 on Windows 10. When my system reboots, the system automatically runs the start.bat file.

However, I run into the issue described on ( where Karaf can’t start up because the value in is set to a non-zero value.

I’ve never played with .bat files. Is there an easy way to delete the file before start karaf.bat? Will this break anything?