Static IP before first boot

I didn’t judge anybody. “Weird” was a judgement on your network setup.
You want to use openHABian in an environment that it is not built for.
There’s thousands of happy openHABian users, and you’re the first who insists on using it in an environment that does not provide the prerequisites it takes.
That is the root cause of your problem.
Clearly, there is no “issue” here with openHABian that needs any fixing (that’s just a badly wrong claim of yours, so no, that does not frustrate me at all).

And even though you’re ignoring this, we were trying to help, giving advice what you would need to change to still get openHAB to work.

But your only reply is you’re just telling me I’m rude, not open and not understanding ?
You’re twisting the situation.
Now that is rude.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, but I found bather way to do it

Install raspbarian and edit cmdline.txt
add line on the end

ip=x.x.x.x

add

ssh

file
start your pi and connect on ssh with ip you set up. Edit file

/etc/dhcpcd.conf

Add your address.
reboot pi

connect with pi and then manual installation as described:

openHAB on Linux | openHAB

open Home Automation Bus == openHAB

It’s not designed for commercial or industrial use. Some people use OH for that but my personal recommendation is against that.

It is incredibly easy to fix. But your networking environment is so unusual as to make it difficult for you. There have been four recommendations presented:

1. enable dhcp
  2. get an HDMI device and keyboard
  3. install software that will let you access the ext partition
  4. modify the first-boot.sh file, which is in the boot partition, to copy your own version of the netfile also placed in the boot partition to /etc/netfile as part of everything that runs when the RPi boots for the very first time.

@Thedannymullen, that is a brilliant suggestion.

Please read Danny’s suggestion again and understand it instead of just dismissing it. Nothing he suggested requires access to the ext partition.

I suppose there is also an option 5. Since you are the first and only, as far as I’m aware, person to try to run OH in such an unusual environment as this, why don’t you submit a PR to openHABian to ask for static IP info when DHCP is unavailable. That is how projects like this grow. Someone has an unusual problem, they solve it, they submit it to the baseline.

You didn’t read Markus’s full statement.

Well then that’s a weird (and to me, incomprehensible) environment you want to do home automation in.

Notice the bold. OH is built for home automation. openHABian is designed to help people do home automation. If you want to use OH for a purpose it was not built for, in an environment lacking the prerequisites defined for it, it is going to be harder and more work for you. That’s true of ANY software product.

And be aware that the source of the problem isn’t really openHAB or openHABian. The source of the problem is Raspbian and the Raspberry Pi, as evidenced by the fact that you found a Raspbian solution.

1 Like

Looks like the OP posted an issue on git. Here is the link:

https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/issues/439

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s funny or sad.:thinking:

1 Like

I just wanted to say the same. Anyway, because the purpose of this post is not really about a real problem, I just want to grab to opportunity to say a big thank to @rlkoshak and @mstormi and the other maintainers and professionals here, who always try to help and has a great knowledge of these stuffs. That is one of the main reasons why I’m using OH and not anything else.

4 Likes