Status Updates from HS-WD200+ and HS-WS200+

I am very new to OpenHAB, and I have started with a simple setup.

• Raspberry Pi 3 B with Openhabian 1.4
  • openHAB 2.3.0 Build #1246
  • Z-Wave binding AEOTEC Z-Stick Gen 5
  • I have started with just 2 switches. A HS-WD200+ and a HS-WS200+

I had to update to the unstable build of OpenHAB to get access to these 2 switches. I have setup the items and OpenHAB can send commands to the switches in any of the UIs, but OpenHAB is not receiving updates from the switches when I manually tap them. Nothing shows up in the log and nothing updates in the Paper UI Controls page. I setup a sitemap in Basic UI as well with the same results.

Should I be seeing a log item in the default OpenHAB Log Viewer when I manually tap these switches on the wall? If yes what should I try to fix this?

There are two possible things going on.

1. These switches do not report when they are manually toggled

2. You need to set the association group on the Switches to 1 (I think) so they report their status to the Controller when they are manually switched.

You can change the device settings using Habmin or PaperUI. Navigate to the Thing in PaperUI and press the pencil icon to edit the settings and look for an Association Group. If using PaperUI you can set it to “openhab controller”.

Rich, Thanks for the response, but I was not able to find the setting that you pointed out in either UI.

But I did solve the issue. At the very bottom of the Paper UI page when editing the switch “Thing” there is a “Show More” button which reveals a “Reinitialize the device” switch. Turning that on and saving changes solved my problem.

But during the initialization there were a few error messages. Here is just one of them. Everything seems to be working, but maybe some of the programmers will know if this error is an issue or not.

2018-04-03 19:39:38.196 [ERROR] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Exception during ZWave thread: Input 2. {}

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.commandclass.ZWaveAssociationCommandClass.processAssociationReport(ZWaveAssociationCommandClass.java:169) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.commandclass.ZWaveAssociationCommandClass.handleApplicationCommandRequest(ZWaveAssociationCommandClass.java:102) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.serialmessage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass.handleRequest(ApplicationCommandMessageClass.java:119) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.handleIncomingRequestMessage(ZWaveController.java:248) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.handleIncomingMessage(ZWaveController.java:214) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController.access$7(ZWaveController.java:208) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]

at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveController$ZWaveInputThread.run(ZWaveController.java:1324) [199:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.3.0.201803311310]