Steinel IS 140-2 Z-Wave motion sensor shows up as "Unknown Device" in OpenHAB

Hello,

I have bought a Steinel IS 140-2 Z-Wave motion sensor and included it in my Z-Wave network with OpenHAB 2.4 (stable release). In
PaperUI -> Configuration -> Things
it shows up to be online but as a “Unknown device”. There already exists an entry in the device database for this device type.

After inclusion a XML-file describing the node has been generated in the directory
/var/lib/openhab2/zwave
but it looks to me to contain mostly default content. What can be done to make this device usable within OpenHAB? I already tried the standard inclusion / exclusion / factory reset circle several times. Is there a way to prepare a XML-file for this directory manually?

Here is the content of the XML-file:

<node>
  <homeId>0xe41b3c68</homeId>
  <nodeId>18</nodeId>
  <version>4</version>
  <manufacturer>0x7fffffff</manufacturer>
  <deviceId>0x7fffffff</deviceId>
  <deviceType>0x7fffffff</deviceType>
  <listening>true</listening>
  <frequentlyListening>false</frequentlyListening>
  <routing>true</routing>
  <security>false</security>
  <beaming>true</beaming>
  <maxBaudRate>40000</maxBaudRate>
  <sleepDelay>1000</sleepDelay>
  <associationGroups class="concurrent-hash-map"/>
  <endpoints class="concurrent-hash-map">
    <entry>
      <int>0</int>
      <endPoint>
        <deviceClass>
          <basicDeviceClass>BASIC_TYPE_ROUTING_SLAVE</basicDeviceClass>
          <genericDeviceClass>GENERIC_TYPE_SENSOR_NOTIFICATION</genericDeviceClass>
          <specificDeviceClass>SPECIFIC_TYPE_NOTIFICATION_SENSOR</specificDeviceClass>
        </deviceClass>
        <endpointId>0</endpointId>
        <secureCommandClasses/>
        <supportedCommandClasses class="concurrent-hash-map">
          <entry>
            <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_NO_OPERATION</commandClass>
            <COMMAND__CLASS__NO__OPERATION>
              <version>1</version>
              <instances>1</instances>
              <control>false</control>
              <versionSupported>1</versionSupported>
            </COMMAND__CLASS__NO__OPERATION>
          </entry>
          <entry>
            <commandClass>COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC</commandClass>
            <COMMAND__CLASS__BASIC>
              <version>0</version>
              <instances>1</instances>
              <control>false</control>
              <versionSupported>0</versionSupported>
              <isGetSupported>true</isGetSupported>
            </COMMAND__CLASS__BASIC>
          </entry>
        </supportedCommandClasses>
      </endPoint>
    </entry>
  </endpoints>
  <nodeNeighbors/>
</node>

Thanks for Your help.

Have you woken up the device, so that it completes initialization? It may take a few wakeups. You could just wait, but it could take days… depends on the wakeup interval.

Scott,

Thanks for your fast reply.

The Steinel IS 140-2 isn’t a battery device. It is permanently connected to power supply. After double checking the manual, I can confirm, that it doesn’t have a wakeup feature either. I already waited 30 hours, but of course I can wait a few more days.

Sorry… I didn’t look up the details of the device and assumed it was battery powered. There are several threads discussing Unknown Devices, but I haven’t read through all of them, so I may be missing something. But, I would try deleting the Thing and rediscovering. There’s no need to exclude/reinclude, but that may be the next step. Sometimes a restart of the binding or OH helps. Also, and this is a longshot, check to make sure you don’t have two bindings installed… in the console, run list -s |grep zwave.

I have a stubborn ZCOMBO smoke alarm that is stuck as Unknown, and I’ve sent debug logs in to @chris to see why the binding is not recognizing it. Your issue may be different though, since your device is mains powered. If fiddling doesn’t help, then a debug log is going to be needed.

I just noticed that the device was last updated in October. I dont’ know exactly what changed, but maybe there was something not working in 2.4. You may want to update to OH 2.5 M1, or just try a snapshot version of the binding.

I created a log by following this description. The Steinel IS 140-2 Z-Wave motion sensor is “NODE 18”.

Here is the log:
openhab.log (569.7 KB)

Please can you enable trace level logging. I can’t see anything wrong, although clearly something isn’t working correctly. Let’s see if the trace logging helps, otherwise I’ll possibly add more logging.