Strange Z-Wave Network

Perhaps add an R designation or a different colour?

This is not strictly correct. The listening flag simply means that the devices are always listening - you can’t infer anything about routing. The routing flag defines if a device is involved with routing, but does not mean it is a router.

So a device must be both listening, and routing, to be a router. These days you will not find any devices that don’t have the routing flag set if the listening flag is set, so practically speaking the assumption works, but older devices may not perform routing even if they are listening.

2 Likes

What do you want to move? You cannot change the routes yourself if that is what you mean - this is managed by the controller, not the binding.

1 Like

I know, that I can’t change the routes. What I wanted was only to change the graphic by moving the nodes together with their connections, so that I could better determine which node is connected to which other nodes.

But after reading all the posts here, I think that the whole network display is totally useless, because it displays neither all possible nor all used message paths. In my network there must be at least one used message path, which is not shown in the network display. The same is true for the zwave_neighbours property. Or did I miss something?

It provides an indication of the routes. You are unable to change, or even view the routes, but it will in general show what devices can see what other devices.It is however indicative only and also assumes that all your devices have provided this information.

I tend to disagree: As Chris said it is an indication of routing possibilities, it shows how “dense” the mesh is. If you find nodes without neighbors or with a very low count of neighbors, routing issues are a high probability.

As Yannik wrote, he assumed the nodes with the yellow ring were the ones that can route information. Which Chris clarified is not the whole truth. I assumed these were the mains powered devices, but never checked it. :thinking:
I’m wondering if there is a chance to identify devices/nodes that are mains powered as these are most likeley routing-capable devices? Seing an even distribution of those, identifiable in the network display may help, I think.

Only either if the map is designed to minimize overlapping lines or of the nodes can me manually moved to clarify the lines. For example, in the map in this thread is is not immediately apparent there is a path from Node 1 toNode 3. It almost appears to ne Node 1 to node 25.

I don’t think so, because it doesn’t show all used paths. It shows only a subset of them. Even if it displays isolated nodes it could be, that this “isolated” nodes have direct connections to every node in the network.

It maybe, that a total meshed network display indicates, that each node has enough paths to its neighbors, but a less meshed network implies nothing at all.

In my network this is the case, but I think, that this must not be true for every device type.

1 Like