Strategy for external OLED I2C display / Run python script for display update

openHAB 2.4.0 on Raspberry Pi 3
1" OLED display connected via I2C

Hello together,

so I built a controller for my heating unit to access it from multiple devices.
However I still wanted to have some good old buttons and a small display to set the temperature and check the current temperature.
The buttons are connected to the Raspi GPIOs with which I can control the temperature and switches (control on/off etc). So the the manual interface to openHAB is all done physically. The display is only to display the current values.

I wrote a python script that reads out the current values through REST API every 1.5s (5 values in total) and shuts off after a certain time. Now I want to add a rule that starts the python script from within openHAB after certain actions that should trigger the script.

I successfully started a script to read out the DHT22 values but cannot get it working for the display.

Rule-Code:

rule "Display-Prozess starten"
when
	Item display_start received command ON
then
	executeCommandLine("python /etc/openhab2/scripts/oled.py")
	logInfo("Log","Displaystart")
end

I also tested putting in a test-String for some more debugging insight, but it does not really bring me any further:

rule "Display-Prozess starten"
when
	Item display_start received command ON
then
	var String test = executeCommandLine("python /etc/openhab2/scripts/oled.py")
	logInfo("Log","Displaystart: " + test)
end

Output:

[lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - executed commandLine ‘python /etc/openhab2/scripts/oled.py’
[g.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Log] - Displaystart: null

I could not find really much about the parameters for executeCommandLine so my next try was to use the Exec Binding. But again I was not successful and also could not run the script.

Now I basically have to question:

• How can I run the python script for the display refresh from within openHAB?
  • Does it even make sense to do it this way or is there a better / easier way to do it with another approach?