Stuck trying to upgrade from openHabian 3.0.1

Hi everyone,

I’m running openHabian 3.0.1 Release Build on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. OS is Raspbian 10 (buster), Kernel 5.4.83-v71+

The system has been working pretty well for a long time so I haven’t really touched it, but I’ve recently noticed the log is full of Web Socket notifications:

[INFO ] [control.internal.WebSocketConnection] - Web Socket close 1005. Reason: null

These are logged about once per minute and I think they might be to do with the Amazon Echo binding. I saw mention of a new jar file that fixes this, but it was only for OpenHab 3.1 and 3.2.

I thought it would be best to upgrade, but using sudo openhabian-config > Option 02 fails with 14 errors in the form:

Err:1 Index of /raspbian buster/main armhf base-files armhfr 10.3+rpil+deb10u10

404 Not Found [IP: 2a00:1098:0:80:1000:75:0:3 80]

At the end of the list of errors it suggests to try running apt-get update with --fix-missing. This seemed to download a few files but the next upgrade attempt still failed.

As my system seems to be in a bit of a state, and also still has a bunch of directories and files from my old OpenHab 2.4 installation, I wonder if I would be best to blow everything away and do a fresh install of OpenHab 3.2. So some questions:

1. Is this a good approach, or is there something I can do to force an upgrade from 3.01 to work?

2. If I do a fresh install will a backup of 3.0.1 config files created by openhabian-config Option 50 restore happily into version 3.2?

3. I have about 33 Things and 72 items which were all created using the Web UI rather than text .things and .items files. Will these get backed up too (I think they’re in a database somewhere), or will I need to recreate them from scratch in V3.2. My Rules are all in a .rules file so I think they should be fine.

4. When I first set the system up I added a small SSD to stop the SD card getting thrashed by writing log files and so forth but the Pi still needed the SD card to boot. I believe that now there is a way to do everything off the SSD. Will this get configured as part of a fresh 3.2 install or is this a post setup task.

Really appreciate any help with this. I’m not really a Linux guy, but if things go well I can follow instructions and make things work – it’s when something goes off the rails that I get a bit lost.

Cheers,
Pete.

1. Without a whole lot more details and exploration we probably can’t answer this. Ultimately there will be a lot of back and forth asking and answering of questions just to figure out why it errored, and the error itself as something to do with the OS and not OH itself which will make things more complex. In the end you’ll probably have to start from scratch anyway.

2. Probably but there are no guarantees.

3. Yes, if you use openhab-cli backup those will all get backed up.

4. I don’t know.