SunsetWx binding

I’m developing a binding for the SunsetWx service.

The service predicts the quality of the upcoming sunrise and sunset using a variety of meteorological factors.

As a photographer, it’s very tiring to wake up at 4 am to photograph the sunrise, only to find the sunrise was a complete bust. :frowning:

Now, I can have openHAB email me the night before, but only when the sunrise is forecast to be “Great”. :slight_smile: Or, I can have a rule that automatically opens my roller blinds 30 minutes before sunset but only when the sunset forecast is Good or Great.

I’m not sure how much interest there would be for such a binding. Once the SunsetWx API comes out of beta, I would consider submitting the binding if there’s interest.

Here’s what the sitemap looks like. Quality can be Poor, Fair, Good, or Great.

3 Likes

My wife is a photographer. She has an app on her phone that does this but I’d be a hero if I integrated this into OH, even if for just the email notifications.

Does it just do sunset or does it cover “blue hour” forecasts as well?

@rlkoshak It only forecasts the sunrise and sunset quality.

You might suggest to your wife that she look at the SunsetWx web site. Their approach is pretty unique (they are meteorologists and photographers, so they know the science, as well as what the photographer is looking for in a quality sunset).

I think she uses this app right now:

Which does a lot of the same things. I think it would be cool if I could just start sending her “grab your camera!” emails. :slight_smile:

Ah, I use that app too – a very good app indeed. But SunsetWx is very different than TPE. TheSunsetWx guys run some very heavy duty algorithms on multiple weather models and weather data sources – all done on their prem. From the results of those algorithms, they produce maps on their web site, as well as expose the algorithm’s output through their new API. It’s much akin to forecasting the weather, but with a sharp focus on predicting the quality of the sunrise or sunset.

If she does landscapes, and particularly sunrises and sunsets, trust me when I tell you she will like SunsetWx very much.

I certainly will. We live on the front range in Colorado. Lots of opportunities for great sunrises and sunsets.

Yes, a beautiful part of the country. Tonight’s forecast in the southwest US. Dark red is the best (Great); dark blue is the worst (Poor). I wish I was in Yuma, AZ tonight!