Support for Hörmann garage doors

This year I installed in our garage

• operator “Hörmann SupraMatic P, Series 3”
  • safety light barrier “Hörmann EL 101”
  • interface “Hörmann UAP 1”

This setup is fully integrated within OH:
Available commands “open”, “close”, “toggle” and “venting”,
available status types “is open”, “is closed”, “on the move” and “somewhere stopped in the middle”.

The light barrier is wired straight to the designated terminal block within the SupraMatic and ensures safe operation. To use all the features offered by the “UAP 1” you have to connect 3 contacts and 4 relays triggered by a short pulse. So you need one more device for bridging the UAP 1 to OH. I’m using “HomeMatic wired” anyway and so I stuck to it.

@yves If you can’t use a wireless device but have LAN available - every simple “Arduino Ethernet” should do the job!

All stirred together in a virtual rollershutter item I faced the lack of a “moving garagedoor” within the garagedoor icon set, so here is my little artwork :see_no_evil:

.svg garagedoor-move
.png garagedoor-move

2 Likes

Something like this, just place them in a location where they make physical contact with the door in open or closed position. If neither contact is closed, the door is moving. If neither contact is closed for more than a few seconds, the door got stuck:

1 Like

I’m using a lot of Anel Hut’s in our house, I guess i can use that one where you use a homematic device.

when you say "connect 3 contacts and 4 relays triggered by a short pulse. "
I assume this is all connected to your homematic?
so the statusses etc, are not given directly to any Hörmann api?

Afaik there is no Hörmann API.

Yes, the SupraMatic is wired to the UAP 1 by a bus cable (RS 485 Hörmann specific protocol). And the UAP 1 is hooked up to my HomeMatic stuff. UAP 1 is a just a hardware interface. Please refer to the schematic on page 3.

1 Like

Thanks.
I understand now how we can do this.

We visited today a supplier for hormann, yet when I look at the documentation we got, we don’t see a * interface “Hörmann UAP 1”
did you buy this with your garage door?

If i’m correct the safety light barrier “Hörmann EL 101” is standard part of a "Hörmann SupraMatic P, Series 3” or at least it seems to be part of it in Belgium.

is that also so for the UAP1?

Y

In germany the light barrier is included with supramatic p series 3 too. This is the only one, which has included sensors for opened, closed and so on… With other motors, you have to use reed contacts on your own. So i would always recommend the supramatic 3.

Uap1 is an extra, you can buy this from your dealer or from the internet.

Edit:
Maybe it would be cheaper to use my knx modul from ing. Budde, see one of my previous posts… You only need a knx ip interface or taspi with tpuart knx usb stick and the ing.budde modul.

I’m not looking for cheaper.
I prefer more reliable and something where I don’t have the risk to loose warranty for a rather expensive garage door.

the sensors for

• opened
  • closed

I assume they can send “triggers” to openhab when their status change?

y

If you use the knx modul, then yes. Otherwise with the uap1 you get simple inputs/outputs where you have to connect actors or binary inputs.

I agree, I have heard good things about the KNX module mentioned earlier in the thread. I use UAP1 as well, where you get the relevant contacts and you can use switches to control the door. At the end of the day, those are connected into my KNX system, so that I can control everything via openHAB using the KNX bus.

If the KNX module had been available at the time, i would have used that instead of using three channels on my switch actor and three binary inputs (to get the open, closed, air vent positions).

Cheers!

we don’t have knx in our system. Not against it, yet it sounds like UAP1 might also connect to an anel hut and then have that one send me open/close events.

Yes, it will work, too. But in my opinion, with the knx modul you have this way:

supramatic 3 --> hörmann-bus --> knx-modul --> openhab

So you have a digital way from start to end

With the uap1 you have the following:

supramatic 3 --> hörmann-bus --> uap1 --> analog inputs/outputs --> actors/binary inputs --> openhab

So you have a change from digital to analog signals and then back — this will work too, but in my eyes, its not the perfect way to do this.

If i’m correct the UAP1 has NO/NC outputs to gice the stat of the door (open or closed)

1 Like

Hi, is it correct that I need 1 knx modul for each door? I have some more…

Yes, one modul can control only one garagedoor.

1 Like

Hi,

I also own a Hoermann Garage door and even bought their gateway to be able to use an App for controlling the door.
The goal was always to incorporate the garage door in openhab or at least IFTT, but it seems that won’t happen anytime soon.

So I started to reverse engineer the protocol used between the App and the gatway to be able to build a openhab binding with the findings :slight_smile:
Still in an early state, the current work can be found here:

This is still not a binding, but will be the base for one.

Regards,
Thomas

3 Likes

Hi Thomas

When you say, I bought their gateway, can you say more. do you mean the UAP1? Or are you talking about something else?

Yves

This is the LAN WLAN Gateway:

Hörmann 4511701 BiSecur Gateway LAN/WLAN, Ausf.: 26 Sprachen https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00SDH7H1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6AnDCb90YVGJE

1 Like

Exactly :slight_smile:

I wanted to order a horman garage door this week.
I have always been looking at an UAP1 as a way to connect to openhab.

Now I see that the gateway could be another option (and a better one)

I assume you don’t need an UAP1 for that, or is that needed for the gateway to work?
Where can I find technical info on how to connect/install the gateway?

(I try to understand more on how this works, before contacted the supplier, so I’m sure I ask the right questions, as the sales people are less technical and try to sell their own integrated services which I don’t want …