Switch does not update state on change (MQTT, HABPanel)

It works for other people, which should encourage you to find the problem.
Please show your thing/channel, Item configs, and the events.log for commands.

Note that if you are working with xxx.things files, the binding is not so good at picking up in-flight edits. Sometimes you must restart the binding to effect changes.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I had fiddled with that channel quit a bit. I tried setting up a different Tasmota device, and it behaves as expected. I then tried a new channel/item for the one I was having trouble with. I entered the exact same topic entries for the state and the command. This time is worked. The OpenHAB event log shows the “ON” command being published in both cases. The Mosquitto log shows the publication being received and then published to the device. (It doesn’t show the payload, just the command in both cases). The devices didn’t receive the payload in the original set up, so it just responds with the power state. With the new one, the device receives the power (ON or OFF) command.

I suspect there is something in Mosquitto that I inadvertently messed up as I fiddled with it.

But I have it working the way I wanted to with the new Channel and Item, so I’m not going to delve any further into it.