Synology install - failed (extract)

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage DS213j
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version 1.8.0_172
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0.002

Hello, I’ve been stumped for days trying to get 2.3 to run on Synology. Below is my log file. During install, I created the folders just as the directions asked (I also created an openHAB2 folder with the same subfolders as some online forums keep referring to the openHAB2 folder). I just can’t get past this point.

S T A R T - o p e n H A B S P K

2018-06-01:15:20:33

Set instance variables…
public: false
smarthome: true
home: false
port: 8081
tmp: /volume1/@tmp
share: /volume1/SmartHome
oh: /volume1/SmartHome/openHAB
backup: /volume1/@appstore/openHAB-backup-201806
done
Start postinst…
Create ‘openhab’ daemon user
Install new version
Extract openhab-2.3.0.zip
FAILED (extract)

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just following up on this, tried it all again from scratch.
I got the same error and noticed that the ‘openhab’ user didn’t have read/write access to the SmartHome folder, so I updated that and tried to install again (without uninstalling the prior attempt and without checking the ‘run after install box’). This time it installed; however, when I looked at the user list, ‘openhab’ was gone - so I manually created the openhab user with read/write to just the SmartHome folder.

Still a problem though as it looks like it installed, but when I click ‘Run’, it just thinks for awhile and nothing happens. It did create a start-stop log, with this:

Start service
call start.sh.
FAILED (su)
Stop service.
openHAB is not running
done.
Start service
call start.sh.
wait_for_status: 0
PID file created.
done.

Does anyone know if there’s some other permissions i need to give the ‘openhab’ user to get things to run…or where else I can look to keep going?
Thanks

What is on that thing linux?

What method did you use for install?

It’s some version of Linux. I used the method described in the synology instructions: https://docs.openhab.org/installation/synology.html

Are you using sud o when starting? I asked as it said failed su.

No, I’m just clicking the ‘Run’ button in the Package Center. But I just added ‘openhab’ user to the admin group and looks like there’s progress. Here’s the log file:

Start service
call start.sh.
PID file created.
done.

No more su failure, but 2 notes:

1. In the Package Center, the app button says ‘Run’…whereas every other running app says ‘Open’. The apps that say ‘Run’ are all off - so this suggests something with openHAB isn’t running correctly.
  2. In the Main Menu, it shows ‘OH Manager’, which it never did before so that suggests something IS running that wasn’t before.

This is as far as I’ve ever gotten so I’m going to start going through configuring and see how far I get.

Thanks for your help, sometimes its just the little nudge that turns on the bulb.

Your welcome.