[TapoControl] - Control Tapo Smart WiFi-Devices with Openhab - Official Support Thread

Hi,

there’s now a new binding for Tapo Smart-Home Devices
You’re free to download the .jar, test it, an write your review down here.

Edit:
I alway upload my latest changes to my “oh3-compiled-addons” repository on github.
You can download the jar there and install it manually to your openhab.
Maybe it should be necesarry to use the latest snapshot version of oh.

2 Likes

So no direct connection between openHAB and the p100? It always goes through the cloud?

Hello Pedro,
connection to the Tapo-devices is directly. The plugin sends http-requests to the device-ip but the device needs a login with the cloud credentials. The requests are encrypted with rsa.

does this only work with the American tapo sockets? I have two uk P100’s and they both give status unknown and login error even though the login details are correct

Hi, i testet it with the german (eurepean) version. Are there some messages in the openhab log? In the next version the error handler will be optimized.I’ll upload it these days.

Sorry, I’m completely new to this, where do I find the logfile of I’m using a raspberry pi to run openHABian?

u can use frontail or in console:

this is the error im getting:
2021-03-15 20:45:05.757 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘tapocontrol:P100:c3583b3043’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2021-03-15 20:45:05.765 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘tapocontrol:P100:c3583b3043’ changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN
2021-03-15 20:46:25.327 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘tapocontrol:P100:c3583b3043’ changed from UNKNOWN to UNKNOWN (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Login Error

Can you post the link where the login details are sent please

Hi @Bigdesaster ,

thank you for sharing this binding.
I am currently trying to install it, but I get this message. Can anyone tell what exactly is messing here?

I am running OpenHAB on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B.
Version: 2.5.12

openhab> bundle:start org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol
Error executing command: Error executing command on bundles:
Error starting bundle 251: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol [251]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.openhab.core.config.core

Hi Martin,
how did you install it?
Just download it to your openhab-addons directory and “chown” openhab

cd /usr/share/openhab2/addons
wget -O org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar https://github.com/wildcs/oh3_tapocontrol/raw/main/org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
sudo chown openhab:openhab org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-3.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Edit: It was only testet with openhab3. Maybe that could be the problem?

Can you please let me know the web address that you are using to login, I have 2 separate tp link devices and they both use different apps to login and both of those can use different password, I was trying to login using tp link cloud site so if that’s not the one you are using that could be my problem

@besel your getting the error as the jar is for 3.x and your on 2.5.x

It won’t work unfortunately unless you recompile changing the necessary bits or get the dev to compile a 2.5 version

@Bigdesaster you just need to change OH-INF to ESH-INF and all your core imports from org.openhab to org.eclipse.smarthome.
Also Pom version
Then just compile within the 2.5.x addon branch

@DavidMontgomery
The devices must be paired with the TP-Link Tapo App

@delid4ve
Thanks for your hint. Curretnly i’m working on the next version (SmartBulb-Support). If that will be done, i’ll compile 2.5 version.

I have both plugs synced with Tapo and they work fine using Alexa, I also have a tp-link kasa device that logs in using a different app and a different password, that’s why I was asking for the web address that the login details for the Tapo devices are being sent to, if I go to the tp cloud site it seems to only be for smart cameras and doesn’t show any of my devices.
I’ve just went through the help page from the Tapo app and it just links to the same tp cloud site so it seems like it’s something else that’s stopping mine from syncing with openhab

Hey everybody,
just uploaded the second version.

• Added L530 and L510_Series SmartBulbs ( only tested with 530_Series )
  • Avanced ErrorHandler (more messages)
  • Optimized logging
  • Fixed Bugs
1 Like

Just bought some P100’s and updated OH3 to 3.0.1.M3. I’ve put the .jar file in the addons folder but I’m not able to install the binding. OH3 does not show it.

Hi, that is because it’s not in the main addon-tools repo at the moment.
You have to add an item manually. There you can select Tapo Control.

1 Like

I had to unplug one of the P100’s, and after this the thing became unusable.

2021-04-02 16:50:34.466 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:5ec6d0df77' changed from UNKNOWN (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): java.lang.NullPointerException to ONLINE
2021-04-02 16:50:34.594 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:5ec6d0df77' changed from ONLINE to UNKNOWN (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): java.lang.NullPointerException
2021-04-02 16:51:04.597 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:5ec6d0df77' changed from UNKNOWN (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): java.lang.NullPointerException to ONLINE
2021-04-02 16:51:04.720 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:5ec6d0df77' changed from ONLINE to UNKNOWN (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): java.lang.NullPointerException

I had to recreate the thing and link it to the previous items. The device was Ok with the Tapo app.

Can you tell me more details please? The thing worked, then you unplugged it and then you got the error?
Is it working if you save the thing settings again?

Yes, and a reboot does not solve it

First I have to delete the thing, and then define it again and link to existing items