[TapoControl] - Control Tapo Smart WiFi-Devices with Openhab - Official Support Thread

Maybe it could be possible. But at the moment i don’t have such a device.

@junNGYM
maybe the japanese versions ar using other commands?
the european are talking with eu-cloud. maybe we can trace some commands when the new version is finished. but at the moment i’m still busy with that version

How can I help you so that it can be implemented?

Sponsor a device :stuck_out_tongue:
I can just guess if it’s handled like a color-bulb. Maybe i can implement a test-device an then trace the communication results, but without a device a cannot really debug communication.

But first i’ve to finish the new “bridge-version”. i hope i’ll finish it this week.

Hello Chris,

good idea. But as an alternative, I would offer you a team viver session to my OH to test the connection on the device. If that would be of any help to you.

Hello, everyone,
I use the Tapo P100 with the bindings for OH 3.1. Everything works fine too. Only the TP 100 goes offline once or twice a week.
Does anyone have the same problem and how to fix it? TP100 German

Hi,

I’m having some performance issue’s with the TapoControl addon.
For some reason my CPU gradually increases over the days and at some point it will fully freeze the openhab instance.

I have made another topic about the performance issue:
OH3: Ramping CPU Issue - Setup, Configuration and Use / Installation - openHAB Community

And after some testing I found out the ramping CPU is because of the tapocontrol thing.
I have 2 x P100 with a pollingInterval of 30. If I remove the thing file my CPU goes back to normal.

Anyone else having the same issue ? System info can be found in the forum link.

I had the same problem with that version. Try the 3.2 one.

Same with me with the 3.2 version.

I also observe that after 10+ on/off cycles the P100 starts to have an increasingly long delay to respond (reported to Chris months ago). Restarting OH seems to reinitialize the binding, and after some time the problem appears again.

Hey guys. Currently i’m developing and testing a new version which works with a “bridge” for login.
Hope the problems will be resolved then.

2 Likes

I can give you the packet capture file of the P105 starts up and turn on / turn off control. The controller Android phone’s address was 192.168.137.4 and I couldn’t find any direct communication between P105 and this phone. All communication seems like via security.iot.i.tplinknbu.com and device-cloudgateway.iot.i.tplinknbu.com

Do you need testers ? I’m a volunteer.

Still have to fix some problems. Think I found the problem for the communication issues. But hat to rewrite a lot of code

Keep up the good work! Same here, also volunteer to test

1 Like

Hey guys. Just uploaded the new version.
Hope it will work well.

Unfortunately you have to add a bridge to let your devices be discovered and assigned to it.
Just look at the readme.

Have fun

1 Like

Thanks for this new version. I have 4x P100 and only two were added to inbox. These 2 are working but let’s wait some time to see if they do experience delay problems like in previous versions.

The other 2 were not in the inbox and when I try to add them manually there is no place I can specify the bridge, so they do not work.

The new definition process is a bit confusing. 1st discovery, 2nd manual IP edit. Can this be simplified ?

Hi Hugo,
can you check the Firmware Version of your devices with Tapo-App? Not Update just sent me the info for testing.
Look at the error log when scanning for new devices.
I now just tested 2 other devices with older firmware and i discovered they have other modell-naming. I think this could be the problem for your devices too. In this case a Firmware-Update could fix the issue but it’s better if i handle this different modell-names in my source-code.
Unfortunately the cloud didn’t return the local ip of your devices so you have to add it manually. Im not very happy with that solution too.

Hi Chris, all my devices were @ 1.4.5.

After updating to 1.4.9 exactly the same symptom. The binding only finds the same 2 P100’s and the other 2:

1. cannot be added manually (can’t add the bridge)
  2. Are not found with manual scan (OH and IoT are in separate vlan’s and my firewall usually blocks OH scan)

Let me try to give an example of what manual add device could be. I use the Unifi binding and when I add a device, besides having to specify its IP or MAC address, I must also specify the bridge

Edit: I’m using the UI to add things & items. Shall I use conf folder instead ?

Thanks for your hints Hugo. :+1:
Uploaded a new version where both should be fixed.

For your Information:

• Configuration with UI will be prefered.
  • Devices are not discovered by oh-scan of your network or udp or anything else. This are all devices wich are conneted with your Tapo-Account (Cloud) even if they are not in your local network. This is why the ip-address has to be set manually.
2 Likes

Using this latest jar my missing 2x P100’s appeared in the inbox.

I’ve also tried to add one P100 manually and this worked (in one step). IMHO automatic discovery is useless because it does not perform a complete job.

Now all my 4x P100’s are working. Let’s wait one week to see if no other problems emerge. It would be good if others could also test.

Although UI seems to be great to define Tapo things I don’t know if it is mandatory or not to be also able to configure the binding using .thing files.

Thanks for the update! Just did the manual installation. I share the same opinion as moody, its a bit wonky that you have to manually set the correct IP address through the UI for every device.

Also it would be great to be able to set it up through config files.
My system runs on docker and only with config files, this gives me the flexibility to easily move the system without a lot of work.

It seems I have the same issue, installed it around 20:45 (red line) and as you can see moments after that my CPU starts to rise.

Will keep you posted, however this is not looking good at the moment